Joon1911

Is The Dot Snapmaster Worth It?

Hi,

I was going to invest in a new snap setter for setting Pull the Dot fasteners. Is the DOT brand Snapmaster worth twice as much as the Pres-N-Snap tool? With all the anvils and the tool the DOT brand is over twice the cost of the the Pres-N-Snap. I don't mind spending more if I'm getting a better tool, but I hope someone on the forum has experience with both and can offer me some advice?

Here are links:

http://www.sailrite.com/dot-snapmaster-hand-press

http://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool

The Dot brand was the only one they showed setting the pull the dot fastern. Does the cheaper one do that ?

The Dot brand was the only one they showed setting the pull the dot fastern. Does the cheaper one do that ?

Yes, they have an anvil for the one-way snaps

http://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-One-Way-Fastener-Die

Can't say anything about the DOT brand - but I did just get the Pres'n Snap - Holy crow, what a difference in ease AND the quality of the look of the snaps - completely pro looking roll on the posts and hasn't shown me a cocked snap yet - very easy to feel "when" you've given enough pressure to the tool - Two opposable thumbs up from this monkey :)

The Snapmaster sets (means you can buy dies for) a lot of different closure systems. In sail and canvas work, this is handy, but if you only do snaps, it is just more expensive. I have two press-n-snaps, one fitted for posts and one for caps, they still cost less than one Snapmaster, I know, I have one Snapmaster too for lift-the-dots and common-sense fittings we used a lot on sailboats.

Whatever you use, if you work on boats, tie a line to the tool and yourself, so when it goes overboard you can haul it out. They are darned near impossible to find on the bottom.

Sailrite has about the highest price I have seen, whoops, --Edited-- their prices are better than they used to be, actually reasonable now at $118.

Pretty good price here.

Art

Hi,

I was going to invest in a new snap setter for setting Pull the Dot fasteners. Is the DOT brand Snapmaster worth twice as much as the Pres-N-Snap tool? With all the anvils and the tool the DOT brand is over twice the cost of the the Pres-N-Snap. I don't mind spending more if I'm getting a better tool, but I hope someone on the forum has experience with both and can offer me some advice?

Here are links:

http://www.sailrite.com/dot-snapmaster-hand-press

http://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool

The Snapmaster sets (means you can buy dies for) a lot of different closure systems. In sail and canvas work, this is handy, but if you only do snaps, it is just more expensive. I have two press-n-snaps, one fitted for posts and one for caps, they still cost less than one Snapmaster, I know, I have one Snapmaster too for lift-the-dots and common-sense fittings we used a lot on sailboats.

Whatever you use, if you work on boats, tie a line to the tool and yourself, so when it goes overboard you can haul it out. They are darned near impossible to find on the bottom.

Sailrite has about the highest price I have seen, whoops, --Edited-- their prices are better than they used to be, actually reasonable now at $118.

Pretty good price here.

Art

Would this be good for setting snaps on holster loops? Will this work better than one of the bench mounted setups?

The Press-n-Snap and the Snapmaster are made for the canvas/sail/awning trade as they can set ligne 24 (Durable Dot) fasteners and grommets. You set so many snaps in that industry that you load the machine up for whatever you are doing and that's that. That is why they also sell them bare bones as you buy one with dies and one without and make two setters out of them, one for each side. An active shop or loft is going to have 10 of these things for all the different fasteners they set. They will also have 4 or more Snapmasters for the Common Sense and Lift the Dot fasteners. You can't imagine how many of those things you set in a year, way over the 100K mark.

For the average leatherworker (or even hobbyist), one of the Little Wonder presses from Weaver would be better as you can set anything you can buy dies for, and Weaver sells a whole lot of dies. It comes with gear for rivets, and you can buy dies for the snaps you need.

Art

Would this be good for setting snaps on holster loops? Will this work better than one of the bench mounted setups?

The Press-n-Snap and the Snapmaster are made for the canvas/sail/awning trade as they can set ligne 24 (Durable Dot) fasteners and grommets. You set so many snaps in that industry that you load the machine up for whatever you are doing and that's that. That is why they also sell them bare bones as you buy one with dies and one without and make two setters out of them, one for each side. An active shop or loft is going to have 10 of these things for all the different fasteners they set. They will also have 4 or more Snapmasters for the Common Sense and Lift the Dot fasteners. You can't imagine how many of those things you set in a year, way over the 100K mark.

For the average leatherworker (or even hobbyist), one of the Little Wonder presses from Weaver would be better as you can set anything you can buy dies for, and Weaver sells a whole lot of dies. It comes with gear for rivets, and you can buy dies for the snaps you need.

Art

Is there another good bench mount snap setter out there, for a few less bucks.

The Press-n-Snap can be attached to the bench with a bench mounting accessory.

Art

Is there another good bench mount snap setter out there, for a few less bucks.

Yup, there's a bench mount for around $35 for the press'n snap

But I just plan on clamping mine in a vice if needed for big runs - will see how it works

The Press-n-Snap can be attached to the bench with a bench mounting accessory.

Art

I was thinking pull the handle style like the weaver, my main goal is number 24 snaps.

Don't think you'll find a lever style for less than the others - the cost of solid bench mount ones was what made me go with press'n snap instead :0/