Noah

How to Install metal separating zippers..

I had a thread on where I could find such zippers and can't find that thread, so I'll put this here.

I am putting new metal zippers in a hild's backpack. I found some that's perfect on a roll, and have the sliders. I don't have end pieces but with this project I think I can work around that.

SO, how do I make this all work? There was a Lady willing to give me instructions but I can find her here.

That would be me. the zipper queen. basically you dont need ends. the material will stop it. so if ya ned help just PM me ill walk ya through. there a bit of a pain but after you get your first one in yoll get the next one better. bronc

...basically you dont need ends. the material will stop it....

Are you talking about making separating zippers or non-separating zippers from continuous zipper stock? I would like more information about how the zipper can be separated and joined without any hardware on the end. Thanks.

well I started to do explaining but couldnt get it right. so Im going to try to do a picture tutorial for ya all If youd like. not sure how soon. I dont have a project right now that requires continuous zipper but I need to do some money belts so Ill start with that. Bronc.

Lets see if this works. I don't know how this explanation will translate in text.

This is a bag I made and is my home away from home on deployments. I will try and explain how I put the zipper in, which was cut from continuous zip. The principal will be the same as a backpack

If you look at where the zipper ends near the black webbing tab, hopefully you can see a seam (this is one of the bags ends). The zipper was cut the length of the bag and a bit extra. the zipper is sewn to a gusset and then this gusset is attached to the ends of the bag. The bag ends are sewn over the zipper. This locks off the zip. The extra length of zip that extends either end of the bag (remember it was cut slightly longer than the gusset) is locked off when you sew the bag end over the gusset and zipper.

If the zipper is cut from a roll of continuous zipper you have raw ends. There are a few ways to deal with these raw ends

1. bind the raw edge with some material like

a. soft leather

b. a scrap of similar material to the back pack

c. a scrap of vinyl

2. Make zip end stops like the little metal clips (for want of a better term) that you see on open ended zippers. These can be made out of the same type of material as for binding the whole raw edge. Just cut some little strips about 3/8 - 1/4" wide. Seperate the zipper teeth enough to sew one strip either side of the teeth. You can then overlap the teeth and with a gentle tap with a "little" hammer the teeth with again inter mesh. Do the same on the other end of the zip.

Barra

HPIM0249.JPG

post-1669-1228378038_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

I appreciate the effort to show me with pics, but on dialup I load them. I clicked on the small pic to see it closer and it's way too big for me.

How is that size???

Barra

bag_2.JPG

post-1669-1228401817_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

That size is abit better. How about the sliders though? I need 2 on it. I played around and put one on the beginning of the roll {didn't cut any off yet} and it works but now what? If I take it off it's open.

When you attach the runner, as you slide it along the zip, the teeth separate. As you slide the runner back to where you started, the teeth will close again. You can do the same on the other end of the zip by attaching another runner when you cut it to your final and desired length.

Barra

When you attach the runner, as you slide it along the zip, the teeth separate. As you slide the runner back to where you started, the teeth will close again. You can do the same on the other end of the zip by attaching another runner when you cut it to your final and desired length.

Barra

Ok Thanks. That makes sense. When I have the length I want and am wanting to sew it on, what are the steps to put the sliders on, then sew?

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Structure%20...0a%20Zipper.jpg

Look at the pic of the zip with runner attached for orientation.

Now look at the pic of the chain zip. It doesn't matter if chain or teeth zip

You can feed the zip into the runner and you should notice the teeth hit up against a bar.

grab the tape at each corner and gently pull/tug. The teeth should now separate.

Continue to feed the zip on.

Barra

OK Noah Im assuming by wanting 2 sliders on it that you want to open it from different ends? If thats the case your zipper might not be capable of doing that. you have to have a two way zipper.

I am looking for a tutorial or advise as to how to install a zipper in a leather project that a Brother Mason asked me to make. It is an Apron case that he wants two zippers used to open and secure the case. I have never made anything with a zipper before and this is kinda intimidating for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me. Warning I am a visual person !

I am looking for a tutorial or advise as to how to install a zipper in a leather project that a Brother Mason asked me to make. It is an Apron case that he wants two zippers used to open and secure the case. I have never made anything with a zipper before and this is kinda intimidating for me.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me. Warning I am a visual person !

Not sure what an apron case is? If you can provide a picture or sketch it would be easier to help.

Chuck