terrymac

"skirting" Vs "tooling" Leather

Have a question for someone with more smarts than me, is there any difference between skirting and tooling leather other than the obvious weight difference? I always assumed they were one in the same with the skirting just being a heavier weight. I read somewhere that skirting leather is actually tanned a little different, and I am curious if this is true. I've also heard of craftsmen using only skirting leather and having it skived down to a 8 to 9 oz range, supposed to tool better? Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Terry

Skirting leather does have a different tanage than tooling leather but that will vary greatly from one tannary to another. Skirting is usually more firm for added strength a durability for saddles and tack. It will have a slightly darker color than tooling leather. Skirt will be somewhat larger sized hides because it's main purpose is to build saddles. I do order skirting leather split down to 8/9 or even a 5/6 depending on the project. When making a large case I do this as stated the skirting leather is most times a larger hide. The tooling leather will have a softer tanage to accept the tooling better in some cases. It will also have a lighter color than the skirt and the hides somewhat smaller.

Thanks Randy for the info. That is what I was wondering.

Terry

....AND if you buy from Tandy read the fine print, the thickness on the Butt could be

10-12 oz the shoulder 8-9oz. this could cause problems if you cannot thin it .

I get mine from Wickett & Craig, specified as to what thickness i want.

Luke,

Thank's for the heads-up. Anybody try the skirting that Siegel's is having tanned to their own specs by Wickett-Craig?

Terry