SeventhSon

Looking For Advice On First Machine

Hey folks, im looking for some advice on my first machine. I primarily do motorcycle seats so I'd like something that can take on some serious material. I've never used a machine before so I literally know nothing about them. So any advice or tips on machines you fols can provide would be much appreciated.

That's a good first question SeventhSon.

Motorcycle seats can be sewn on a flatbed machine, but are better handled by a cylinder arm or post bed machine on the turns. The last one I sewed was done on a "441" clone. This is a large machine with a big cylinder arm, having very high lift capabilities and capable of sewing with a wide range of thread sizes. As I recall, I used #207 thread, top and bottom, and sewed it inside out in such a manner that the curves went over the end of the machine as I sewed around the bends.

While you could use a medium duty cylinder arm machine for these jobs, the bigger 441 types are loafing, where the little brother might be puffing.

Price ranges

441 clones come in cylinder arm lengths of 9, 16.5 and 25 inches. Prices for them vary with brand and length, ranging from about $1800 to $3500.

The medium duty cylinder arm machines, which I will refer to as 227 types, range from about $1500 to $1700, for a basic machine, motor and table. Add accessory attachments and feet and you can easily spend $2,000 on one.

Tell us your budget and other sewing jobs and we can narrow down the options for you. Then call or email the dealers who advertise on this forum. Ask questions and see who offers the best price for the machine best suited to your work. If you buy a machine from one of our dealers, you can count on excellent after sale service. Most are available to handle questions over the phone and can help newbies work out the kinks in a short time.

Hey folks, im looking for some advice on my first machine. I primarily do motorcycle seats so I'd like something that can take on some serious material. I've never used a machine before so I literally know nothing about them. So any advice or tips on machines you fols can provide would be much appreciated.

Most of our customers doing motorcycle seats either use a "medium weight" flatbed walking foot machine, or a cylinder bed walking foot with optional flatbed attachment.

These machines can use up to size 210 thread, size 24 needle and can easily sew up to 3/8" thick.

Are there any other items you'll be sewing? What range of leather thickness will you be working with?

Ron

Thanks for the responses. The thickest material i ever use is 7/8oz so i would have to be able to stitch through two pieces of 7/8oz max. anything else I will run through the machine would be significantly lighter material. Id like to stay under $1000 if possible. Is there anywhere reputable that sells good used machines by chance?

I see a lot of old singer machines for sale around here, are they worth looking into? and if so is there specific ones that would suit me better than others?

I also saw a Juki DNU-241H for sale used is that a good machine for what Im after?

I see a lot of old singer machines for sale around here, are they worth looking into? and if so is there specific ones that would suit me better than others?

I also saw a Juki DNU-241H for sale used is that a good machine for what Im after?

The Juki is a solid machine for what you're doing, as long as it's set up for sewing leather. You should make sure it comes with a servo motor of at least 550 or 600W so you have enough torque to get through 2 layers of 7/8oz.

Ron

1335394867[/url]' post='245218']

What are the thoughts on the Tippmann Boss?

There are a number of threads about it here. Do a search and you will find them. One makes a comment about needing three arms to use it.

CTG

Edited by northmount

If your budget will stand it get the walking foot electric machine. Your arm will get tired of running the Tippmann but the Tippmann will sew 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch without breathing hard. I have found a few walking foot machines on Kijiji.ca from time to time. Some are inexpensive and others are not. Good luck.

What are the thoughts on the Tippmann Boss?

Edited by busted