SimonJester753

Stopping Dye Rub-Off

I bought a black latigo side from Tandy, (https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/9056-05.aspx?feature=Product_2&kw=latigo+side?). I made a dog harness for my white dog. I bathed him Tuesday, By Wednesday evening I could see a gray band on his fur where dye from the harness had rubbed off.

Before I'd bought the side, I bought straps of latigo and didn't have a problem with dye rubbing off.

I rubbed mink oil and Fiebing's Aussie leather conditioner into the leather, and followed up with beeswax. I did that to both the leather that I bought as straps and the leather that came from the side.

Any suggestions about how to treat the leather to stop the dye from rubbing off?

I bought a black latigo side from Tandy, (https://www.tandylea...kw=latigo+side?). I made a dog harness for my white dog. I bathed him Tuesday, By Wednesday evening I could see a gray band on his fur where dye from the harness had rubbed off.

Before I'd bought the side, I bought straps of latigo and didn't have a problem with dye rubbing off.

I rubbed mink oil and Fiebing's Aussie leather conditioner into the leather, and followed up with beeswax. I did that to both the leather that I bought as straps and the leather that came from the side.

Any suggestions about how to treat the leather to stop the dye from rubbing off?

Both things you applied to your harness are not sealers. Purchase a bottle of Resolene. Follow the directions on the label of the bottle, this will stop the bleeding color. Allow it to dry one half hour.

Both things you applied to your harness are not sealers. Purchase a bottle of Resolene. Follow the directions on the label of the bottle, this will stop the bleeding color. Allow it to dry one half hour.

I would put this on the flesh side? From what I saw on the website, it's a top coat to seal in dye, but it seemed like it was for the finished side.

I would put this on the flesh side? From what I saw on the website, it's a top coat to seal in dye, but it seemed like it was for the finished side.

You can put the Resolene on both sides. It will seal the leather like you want. For a smooth finish, apply the Resolene in several light coats with a damp sponge, allowing dry time in between.

I have done it in two different ways, depending on purpose. I applied several layers of dye, and let it dry well between the layers. Then I took a soft cloth, and virtually rubbed the h*ll out of it, that removed the excess dye quite well. Then I have either "sealed" it with Resolene, or used a traditional Swedish leather treatment called "Ekololja". With the leather treatment thing, I have also applied it several times, rubbing it quite a lot. And it seems that the rest of they dye that was supposed to "go" did go with that treatment. Then, some dye always seem to rub off during the first period when it's new. But it if keeps going away, and the color gets paler and paler, something is wrong. Either the leather doesn't respond well to the dye, or you have to treat it some way after dyeing.

I have done it in two different ways, depending on purpose. I applied several layers of dye, and let it dry well between the layers. Then I took a soft cloth, and virtually rubbed the h*ll out of it, that removed the excess dye quite well. Then I have either "sealed" it with Resolene, or used a traditional Swedish leather treatment called "Ekololja". With the leather treatment thing, I have also applied it several times, rubbing it quite a lot. And it seems that the rest of they dye that was supposed to "go" did go with that treatment. Then, some dye always seem to rub off during the first period when it's new. But it if keeps going away, and the color gets paler and paler, something is wrong. Either the leather doesn't respond well to the dye, or you have to treat it some way after dyeing.

You need to try submersing the leather in your dye instead of dabbing a little on the leather. Get yourself a 9" x 13" Teflon coated baking tin. Put enough dye in the tin to completely cover the leather.

Immerse the leather 60 to 90 seconds. You need to prepare a place to lay your newly dyed project or if you have already punched holes to sew it up use one of those holes and a piece of thread to hang it on a nail and allow it to drip dry (over night). Buff out the topcoat after it is dried. A mixture of 70% Resolene and 30% water should give the finish you are looking for. Do not buff the Resolene. Use the baking tin and immerse the dyed project in the Resolene also. Allow this to air dry in the same manner as the first step. This should stop the bleeding dye. Good luck

You need to try submersing the leather in your dye instead of dabbing a little on the leather. Get yourself a 9" x 13" Teflon coated baking tin. Put enough dye in the tin to completely cover the leather.

Immerse the leather 60 to 90 seconds. You need to prepare a place to lay your newly dyed project or if you have already punched holes to sew it up use one of those holes and a piece of thread to hang it on a nail and allow it to drip dry (over night). Buff out the topcoat after it is dried. A mixture of 70% Resolene and 30% water should give the finish you are looking for. Do not buff the Resolene. Use the baking tin and immerse the dyed project in the Resolene also. Allow this to air dry in the same manner as the first step. This should stop the bleeding dye. Good luck

I don't dye my leather, except the edges. I got a pre-dyed black latigo side.

Next leather purchase will be undyed and I'm going to try vinegroon to blacken it.

I know this is an old post, but I hope someone can help me. I'm working with a Black Stone Oil Leather from Tandy and no matter how much I clean and rub it, black dye keeps coming off on my rags. Will Resolene help to stop dye transfer? Any suggestions? I know one of the first suggestions is to never buy Stone Oil Leather from Tandy's again. I usually get Utility Leather but black has been very hard to find in a 4+ oz. and I made the mistake of buying this.

I use Tan Kote to the back of my belts and collars. I apply with a clean piece of cloth. I rub it in good and let it dry. After it dries ,I rub it to see if any dye comes off. I haven't had a problem.

Jim

I think you might be SOL on this piece of hide. Sounds like oil tanned from the name of it. I never had any luck stopping bleeding dye with this stuff. Good luck.

You are right Geneva- I've tried just about everything, except for setting the whole hide on fire!

Thanks for the response everyone.