mjzae

Framing Leather And Preserving It

Hello everyone,

I collect the antique leather horse harness and the silver monograms that were placed on them. I have (3) pieces of bridles with a monogram that I want to very thoroughly clean and then have framed for display.

Question: Is there a clean spray or lacquer that I can spray on the leather to preserve it while it is framed so it will retain it's cleaned look over the years? I certainly don't want mold or anything to grow on it.

The leather is over 100 years old and the varnish on it has alligators giving it a wonderful look. I just want to preserve it.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

703-304-6745

I would use something like wyo-sheen lacquer and an airbrush to apply it. I believe there is a lacquer that comes in a spray can but I do not remember the name. Someone will be along to give the name or correct me.

Michael

Saddle lac is what mlapaglia is talking about, it's very shiny though. I use an acrylic matte spray for my framed leather carvings, some have been hanging for 9 years and no problems.

Saddle lac is what mlapaglia is talking about, it's very shiny though. I use an acrylic matte spray for my framed leather carvings, some have been hanging for 9 years and no problems.

Thanks, I could not for the life of me think of the name.

Michael

Troy, will an acrylic matte spray change the color or the black leather or the metal decoration on the harness? What is a name of acrylic matte spray that you use?

Troy, will an acrylic matte spray change the color or the black leather or the metal decoration on the harness? What is a name of acrylic matte spray that you use?

I'll have to check in the shop tomorrow for the name and let you know. I get it at hobby lobby and have at least two different kinds I use, I think their pretty much the same. It doesn't change anything on my leather, I use the clear and after it dries I can't tell it's there. Just to be safe wait till I look tomorrow and you will want to test it somewhere out of sight.

Crafts etc, is what I've got. just a off brand hobby lobby carries, It says for wood, fabrics, documents, pictures, glass, and a long list of other things. It doesnt list leather but it works for me.