Sign in to follow this  
jayjay

Mexican Round Braid On Corners

Hello all,

I have the Tandy lacing techniques book and I have gotten pretty good at the round braid but when it comes to the corners I'm stuggling a bit. The book states to lace through the corner 4 times and each slit next to corner 3 times. I just can't seem to make it look good. Any help with how to properly lace through the corners would be excellent.

Working the holes with my awl seems to enlarge them a bit more to accept the double lace. The Spanish (or Mexican) round braid is a tough one for slits, but for me the look is much much better. To make it easier, try a practice piece using the round hole punch and you will not struggle. Also, don't forget to massage the lacing around the corners when you finish them. You can manipulate them a bit and try not to pull too tight. You do have to watch which cross member you are going to be going over and under for sure!

This technique is my absolute favorite.

Good luck

Hello all,

I have the Tandy lacing techniques book and I have gotten pretty good at the round braid but when it comes to the corners I'm stuggling a bit. The book states to lace through the corner 4 times and each slit next to corner 3 times. I just can't seem to make it look good. Any help with how to properly lace through the corners would be excellent.

The link below have some really good drawings on the Mexican round braid and the corners. It is just so manny pages to search and for now I did not have the time to find the right one...It will pay of (I hope *S*) to look for it:

http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/

Try page 100....Thanks Tina!

Thanks for the info folks. I guess the trick is to make the corner slits longer and than just lace as normal but count the corner as 2 slits? Does this make sense? I'm going to give it a try tonight when I get home.

Thank you King X I'll give that a try.

Working the holes with my awl seems to enlarge them a bit more to accept the double lace. The Spanish (or Mexican) round braid is a tough one for slits, but for me the look is much much better. To make it easier, try a practice piece using the round hole punch and you will not struggle. Also, don't forget to massage the lacing around the corners when you finish them. You can manipulate them a bit and try not to pull too tight. You do have to watch which cross member you are going to be going over and under for sure!

This technique is my absolute favorite.

Good luck

I'm no expert but I punch large holes in the corner and the ones next to it. This is one of my knives

post-17333-076075400 1308191287_thumb.jppost-17333-081152600 1308191303_thumb.jppost-17333-034823000 1308191321_thumb.jp

Edited by r lenna

That was the trick I added another slit in the corner and it made it much nicer. Thanks for everyones input i really appreciate the help.