goldenstonebazaar

Dip Finish With Resolene Mix, Without Compressor To Blow Off Excess?

I tried to seal small finished items by dipping it in 50% Resolene, as holster-makers do.

One problem: without compressor to blow off excess (or rather place is not suitable for using noisy equipment), Resolene starts to cure and streaks too fast, wiping front and back by damp sponge is not fast enough. Had to return by manuall application of finish.

Are there any other solutions?

Thanks.

I don't know much about holster making, but that's the first I've ever heard of someone dipping their finish. Dip dying is quite common so you can get the dye to fully penetrate the leather, but with a finish you want to work up the coats on top of the leather with a light application, otherwise it will just come out looking like plastic. I would go back to manual application with a moist sponge. Even if it takes a couple of minutes, it's still quicker then ruining a project.

Even if it takes a couple of minutes, it's still quicker then ruining a project.

Exactly my sentiments/experience...

There are few posts here, at Leatherworker.net, when holstermakers discussed dip finish in 50% Resolene with following brief blowing of excess by the compressor.