I am about to buy cement, specifically two sorts: One for stamping etc. i.e. "glue" it to a plexi glass (to avoid deformation), so that I can't detach it from the surface afterwards. And one for permanent bounding.

I get all confused when I try to look at what is for what purpose. I'll buy it from eBay, and even though many of them (most) does not ship abroad (due to restrictions for flammable liquids etc.), some still do. I can't find any of this in Scandinavia, at least not the bounding kind, and prices here in general are horrific.

I have understood that Barge's cement is among the better ones, and I thought I should get these two cements of that brand. But, it seems to be like half a dozen different cement compounds for the same purpose, so I hope someone could help me point out what I should have, so I don't end up with to quarts for the same purpose in the end. If possible, I would love to see pictures of the two different sorts I need, as even the name seems to be quite the same (just the color of the label seems different).

Skald,

The Barge (or any brand) rubber cement will work for your tooling. The rubber cement can be found at some craft stores and hardware stores, might save you some shipping charges.

I just use a good clear packing tape. Just tape the back of the leather good and trim off the excess and remove when done and dry.

Rubber cement is not near as permanant as the Barge All purpose cement.

The Barge All purpose cement is what you want to use for a permanant bond.

I don't have pictures, but I hope this helps.

I use the packing tape like Casey also for the backs of my things. For my contact/permanent cement I use Renia. It is made in Germany, so it might be more available over there than Barge. It has a little more fume than Barge, but seems stronger to me and tacks up faster.

Here are the labels. The red and yellow can is the all purpose cement and the green looking lable is the rubber cement.

post-11301-054356700 1287689301_thumb.jp

post-11301-092512000 1287689311_thumb.jp

Thank you, that straightens out a lot. I haven't really tried the packing tape thing, I'm the kind of guy who tool first, and then cut the exact shape, at least this far. Isn't the tape likely to sort of "loose its grip", when the leather gets wet?

Casey Jordan: I hear you are not familiar with Sweden. ;) To be honest, I don't think soviet Russia had any worse supply on those a little more "odd" products. In best case, you can find some of the brands you got in some mail order business, for like three times of the prices over there, then add Swedish postage which isn't much lower than ordering from abroad. Yes, I am a cheapskate, but I am also poor hahahaha...

dirtclod: Thanks for that, I'll try to spot them.

It's rare to find a forum as helpful as this one, and I am really glad I found it, and hope I can return the favor some day. :)

Masters, both the rubber and the all purpose, also the thinner, but since you are in Europe, go to a shoe maker or repair and find out where to get Renia Colle de Cologne, it is a good all purpose cement. The other Renia products are more compound shoe (rubber plastic pvc whatever) repair and or orthotic buildup. They make accelerators for their products also. Any shoe supply will know what it is.

Art

I use the packing tape like Casey also for the backs of my things. For my contact/permanent cement I use Renia. It is made in Germany, so it might be more available over there than Barge. It has a little more fume than Barge, but seems stronger to me and tacks up faster.

Masters, both the rubber and the all purpose, also the thinner, but since you are in Europe, go to a shoe maker or repair and find out where to get Renia Colle de Cologne, it is a good all purpose cement. The other Renia products are more compound shoe (rubber plastic pvc whatever) repair and or orthotic buildup. They make accelerators for their products also. Any shoe supply will know what it is.

Art

Not a bad idea. I'll visit a shoe guy next time I go to town, he might have something to sell me from "under desk". I know that there are some restrictions here on stuff that's not so healthy and environmental friendly, sadly enough that's most often the stuff that works best as well (in most things). Only "professionals" are allowed to buy those products considered to be for industrial use or whatever.

" I hear you are not familiar with Sweden. ;)

Your right, I should probably get out more!