TroyS

Wrapping a '92 Electra-Glide

Sorry I haven't been participating as much as usual. I've been tail deep in a new project. I started wrapping a '92 Harley Electra-Glide.

* Two-Up Corbin seat

* Hard Saddlebags

* Tank Bib

* Luggage Rack

* Passenger Backrest

I have the Seat panels all carved and ready for stitching. Here are a few pics:

DSC00002.JPGDSC00003.JPGDSC00004.JPGDSC00005.JPGDSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

Whatcha think?

I'll post more pics as they become available...

post-6344-1220098864_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220098879_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220098887_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220098901_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220098910_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220098917_thumb.jpg

Need some help?

Looking good Troy, well done so far!

You got it all figured out and sketched/calculated down or do you just take it as it comes.

Looks like you got a plan worked out allready. I'd scratch my head for month's before getting started on such a project, lol.

I't gonna be very interesting to see more of this, I'm thrilled!

Tom

That looks great Troy!! I like the flames and stripe, what colors are you going to be using? Can''t wait to see pics with it on the bike!

Very nice so far. Looks like one hell of a project. Good luck and be sure to keep posting pictures. Looks like its gonna be a very cool ride when your all done.

What colors are you planning or gonna do a natural look.

That looks really good. Did you use the original seat cover as a pattern for the leather? I'm supposed to do a stock Softail seat and I'm kinda nervous about cutting a bunch of leather and then finding out it's wrong. Have you taken any in-process pictures, or could you take some as the assembly process begins? Can't wait to see that all done.

LB,

We'll see you and the Mrs. for cocktails and BBQ on Monday!

Tom,

Thanks man! Yeah, I planned it all out. I've been working with the owner of this scooter for weeks getting it all together. He's been looking for someone to fix his old leather for months. I did a seat for another guy about 6 weeks ago, he saw it, and the rest is history! I carved both saddlebag lids and the passenger backrest yesterday. I'll be starting to stitch it all together today! And, Tom, I've seen your work bud, and you don't look like you'd do too much head scratchin'! You do nice work!

Brad,

I'm going to highlight it with Timber Brown. No other color... I'm using RED thread to sew with and RED and TAN Suede lace for some very minor details....

Grumpy,

Yes, I did use the original seat cover as a pattern. The original cover was made of marine vinyl and had stretched out. I disected the original cover at the seams, then I used BLUE PAINTERS TAPE to tape the old pieces to posterboard, then added 1/2" for unforseen boo-boos!

Thank you ALL for your words of encouragement! I can't wait to get stitching later today!

Everyone have a safe holiday weekend!

Edited by TroyS

I am very interested in seeing this once finished. Make sure to get detailed pix once all mounted....

Thanks Wolvenstien! I sure will!

Today, I plan to mold one (if not both) saddlebag lid covers so I can finish the backgrounding and start punching holes while I mentally prepare myself for the stitching marathon I am about to embark upon!

I was going to start stitching yesterday but my buddy, Jim Beam, stopped by and we talked for hours ... :whistle:

DSC00009.JPG I did manage to get the backrest done...

DSC00010.JPG and both saddlebag lids...

I haven't backgrounded the lid covers yet. I want to mold the lids then I'll know exactly where the lid edges are.... I only plan to background a small section of the lid cover. The rest of the bag is just plain leather with no carved details. I'm going to lace a design between 3 conchos on the sides... but that's a topic for another day....

Have a SAFE day! And remember, DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! You might hit a bump and spill your drink!

post-6344-1220276042_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220276048_thumb.jpg

Well, as planned I was able to get one saddlebag wet-formed yesterday.

DSC00010.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00014.JPG

DSC00015.JPG

I'm really getting excited to finish this project. The customer wanted that "WOW Factor". I think he'll be pleased.

post-6344-1220349249_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220349263_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220349279_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220349289_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220349296_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220349302_thumb.jpg

Edited by TroyS

Wow Troy!! Definetly that factor. It looks awesome.

Did you make a wooden plug or what? to mold it over.

Many good lucks with the stitching!

Tom

Ok, Update time...

Finished wet-forming both saddlebag lids and 3 of the seat panels before assembly...

DSC00019.JPGDSC00020.JPG

The last picture is a rough idea of the final assembly... The seat panels are all in different stages of drying and will dry to same colors as saddlebags...

DSC00021.JPG

Oh yeah, the backrest is also wet-formed and waiting...

More as it develops...

:whatdoyouthink:

post-6344-1220491631_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220491648_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1220491750_thumb.jpg

That is looking great! I can't wait to see it finished. Why did you not form the front of the lids? What goes there, bottle holders?

ArtS

Good morning Art!

The front panels of the saddlebags are going to be sewn in place. I tried stretching the leather but there was too much leather bunched up there on a very visible edge. I'm going to stamp the background on those front panels to give protection to the front edge and also break up the pattern a bit ...

PS - You've got my vote! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Coming along nicely.

What do you plan on doing to attach the leather to the saddle bags. Are you gonna glue it on or rivet or something. Just wondering.

Looks great so far. The guy should be very happy with his new found ride once its done.

Thant is beautiful work. I can't wait to see the end product!

Well, I finally finished the wrap! Included are some photos I took... Let me know what ya think...

DSC00020.JPGDSC00021.JPG

post-6344-1224188807_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224188819_thumb.jpg

That is truly awesome!!!! That really came out great.

Love it.

Art

hmmm, Here's some more...

DSC00022.JPG

DSC00023.JPG

DSC00024.JPG

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00026.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00028.JPG

DSC00029.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00031.JPG

post-6344-1224189115_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189132_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189297_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189320_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189396_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189418_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189468_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189482_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189576_thumb.jpg

post-6344-1224189608_thumb.jpg

Edited by TroyS

WOW bet he could buy a honda as a backup for what that setup is worth. very nice work and the owner will be stylin wherever the road takes him.

A+ looks to me like you have been very busy...... :red_bandana:

That's just awesome work.! Unbelievable amount of planning and execution nicely done.

I'm moving this into the "ShowOff" Section for awhile, just to give this a little better showing to everyone. Ill leave a redirect in the "Critique section for a few days so nobody will have to go looking for it.

Thanks everyone! I did work hard to make this project happen and the customer was completely blown away! Thanks for the encouraging words!

Next project, turn my iron pony into a midevil two wheeled charriot! Stay tuned .....

looks great - nice job...i appreciate the big challenge, weird shapes to work with,

and those bags sure as hell are ungainly beasts to work

and the job you did looks clean.

in a few thousand miles, a couple of rainstorms,

those bags will look even sweeter..make sure to get some pics then