zenman4711

Removing Water Stains/marks On Veg Tanned Leather?

Hi,

New to this site, and leather work in general, and the info is fantastic! I have a question regarding stains on a vegetable tanned leather chair that I was hoping to not have to dye as I like the color and the contrasting stitching. Not sure if it can be done but was hoping somebody could give me some pointers if it was possible, or tell me it's impossible and pony up for some dye :no:.

I've attached a pic of the chair that is in the worse condition. After reading on this site all day yesterday was wondering if I could use a deglazer and then try to either even the marks out with distilled or moisturize them out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bobby

post-31038-025079900 1335822321_thumb.jp

1335822345[/url]' post='245871']

Hi,

New to this site, and leather work in general, and the info is fantastic! I have a question regarding stains on a vegetable tanned leather chair that I was hoping to not have to dye as I like the color and the contrasting stitching. Not sure if it can be done but was hoping somebody could give me some pointers if it was possible, or tell me it's impossible and pony up for some dye :no:.

I've attached a pic of the chair that is in the worse condition. After reading on this site all day yesterday was wondering if I could use a deglazer and then try to either even the marks out with distilled or moisturize them out.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bobby

Do the deglazer, then bleach with oxalic acid. Lots of info here on oxalic acid, do a search for it

CTG

I would soak it in water , then let it dry and watch the result. If not Ok I´d use bleech.

Edited by oldtimer

Do the deglazer, then bleach with oxalic acid. Lots of info here on oxalic acid, do a search for it

CTG

Will the oxalic acid lighten the leather noticeably? And if so, will a moisturizer bring some color back to it?

Thanks.

Will the oxalic acid lighten the leather noticeably? And if so, will a moisturizer bring some color back to it?

Thanks.

Oxalic acid might lighten the leather. You can oil lightly with Olive OIl to darken it slightly. You can leave them out in the sun to darken normaly. There are threads here about oiling and the results, as well as sun tanning. Neatsfoot Oil will darken more. I have some real Neatsfoot OIl that is > 50 years old, it sure darkens leather a lot!

You have to experiment in a place not normally visible, like under the seat where the edges are turned under and stapled.

CTG

Oxalic acid might lighten the leather. You can oil lightly with Olive OIl to darken it slightly. You can leave them out in the sun to darken normaly. There are threads here about oiling and the results, as well as sun tanning. Neatsfoot Oil will darken more. I have some real Neatsfoot OIl that is > 50 years old, it sure darkens leather a lot!

You have to experiment in a place not normally visible, like under the seat where the edges are turned under and stapled.

CTG

Thanks. I'm reading up on the acid now and will search for oiling after.

Thanks again for your help!

Bobby