rmr

Breifcase Hardware Question / Source

post-11790-0-19264300-1424748467_thumb.jIm getting ready to start my first briefcase as a present for a buddy of mine. I have been doing some research on the style I want to make. I found a brief case that looks to have metal "feet" at the four corners that seem to be lined with some of the same type of leather used on the case- looks to me to be a good idea , practice and sharp looking. I have looked on Ohio Travel bag to see if the metal component is comercailly available- I didn't find one on their web site. has anyone sen this and or know of a source. I have attached a photo showing what Im looking for

Thanks in advance

RMR

I too want to know if these are available. Looks like they might be crimped on, but not sure.

Those are cool looking. Seems like it would be easy enough to make your own though. Cut a strip from sheet brass, curl it, glue leather to it, crimp it.

Hi Cseeger- nice prototype. On the original picture- the brass appears to have been turned over enough so that there is a smooth junction between the leather and the brass- there is not a stair step from the leather to the brass- may be hard to see from this picture. Its a possibility this was a thicker piece of brass in which a channel was cut into it to accept the leather??

Howdy neighbor (just noticed you're in Allen).

Right. My pic accentuates/distorts the thickness of the leather in relation to the brass, plus it's thicker leather than I would use if I were to make a set. But yes, the leather on my prototype does not lay even with the brass. That said, you should be able to use a thin enough layer of leather to where it is indiscernible.

But pondering this a bit more, you could get it to even pretty easily by soldering side strips of brass with a thinner gauge. In my prototype is used 12 ga brass. So adding say 18 or 20 ga would do the trick.

Now that I think about even more, what would be really cool is to also add a middle strip of brass or perhaps bronze or copper. That would really would really make it stand out as a unique treatment. In any case, you're right, haven't seen anything quite like this. Very cool indeed.

So many ideas, so little time....

Oh, one other thing, be sure to use E6000 glue to attach the leather. Works great.

Post a pic of what you come up with.

Just thought of something else that is probably easier and maybe even cooler.

Instead of sheet brass for the sides, use brass wire instead. Easier to lay down three pieces of wire than cut, file, and exactly set a small strip. Plus you get an interesting "serrated" visual effect with the wire.

Like I said, so many ideas, so little time...

You could do it with brass tubing instead of flat stock, With a main tube and slightly larger diameter 'sleeves' that slide on the end, solder and then cut a slot and form the whole thing into a U shape. Then glue the leather in the recess formed between the 'sleeves' It appears the ones in the original picture were tubular. I think that it would be easier to get a good crimp on the bag this way as well. On that note, if the leather was glued on last, you could hide a couple holes under it to sneak in a stitch or two to hold the bag foot on more securely than a crimp.

Edited by TinkerTailor

@ TinkerTailor -- Yeah, great idea. And you could even use rivets instead of stitches. Clever...

In the real world, I'm kinda known for my unorthodox solutions to problems, alot of which involve creative re-purposing and repairing old stuff. Hence the tinker part of my name. Instead of watching Tv, i think of things like using toaster waffles instead of bread for grilled cheese sandys, The little squares hold ALOT of cheese...... and squishing down chromoly bicycle frame tubing from scrap bikes to make bag and slot punches.......stuff like that.

Just had an aha moment thanks to Tinker's idea, Here's a drop dead easy solution.

$(KGrHqYOKpEE1r!4W7zmBNiwfcVBR!~~_3.jpg

These are pre soldered copper fittings, plumbing fittings. "Pre Soldered" means they already have solder in them -- that's what the ridges are for. They're packed with solder. You could just grind or cut off the ends (or use as is), then cut a slot and shape as Tinker suggests. Then glue your leather in the middle strip. Done. Well, along with the some holes for stitching or rivets.

Granted, it's copper and not brass, but polished copper is gorgeous IMHO. To prevent it from tarnishing, just spray it with some spar varnish (don't use poly though -- the spar varnish looks terrific with copper). You would need to do the same with brass as well although laquer looks pretty good on brass. I did a search for pre soldered brass, couldn't find any (wasn't expecting to).

These never really took off, so don't expect to find them at Home Depot or Lowe's. But here's a place I buy from -- cheapest source I've found yet. I do a fair amount of metal work using copper tubing and these pre soldered fittings (lamps and stuff).

http://presolderedfittings.com/presoldered~prices.htm

What you want is the 1/2" Slip Coupling -- Item 4 on that page. $5.90 for a pack of ten. That's dirt cheap.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the awesome ideas. After your AHA moment - I took it one step further- why not get brass machine screws/bo;ts at any local hardware store ( or whatever other metal that matches the buckles on the particular briefcase) a little larger in diameter than what the final products needs to be- turn down the threads on a lathe to the final size, cut a channel to the width and depth needed to accommodate the leather strip- could round the edges or even add a rope knurl if wanted. Then drill out the center to the diameter needed, and finally cut a slot in the top with a Dremel tool to slip it around the bottom of the case. Several holes, as mentioned could be created to allow actually sewing the "foot" to the case.

The only part Im still thinking about is how to crimp so its uniform- will probably just be a pair of pliers

RMR

Perfect! I like the knurled idea. (hell you didn't say you had a lathe hahahaha) Thx for turning me on to these unique feet. Very cool..

Definitely post pic.

What about using barbed brass hose couplings as base stock? There are a million ways you can cut these up and solder back together . These ones: http://bit.ly/1EAQi8l Click on images tab....

Machinist here, just use brass bar stock and turn it to whatever shape you want, drill it, cut it, and done. This is a very simple project. No need to over compicate things. We run through tons of brass, copper, and more every month at work.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

Machinist here, just use brass bar stock and turn it to whatever shape you want, drill it, cut it, and done. This is a very simple project. No need to over compicate things. We run through tons of brass, copper, and more every month at work.

I hear ya there. While i have the skills, i don't have the tools available, and HATE paying someone to do something i can do myself.

I can't cut hair, I pay someone for that...... we all have our strengths.

Yep, just fire up the lathe....soon as I get one.

@ Tinker -- uh, you don't have any hair.

The picture is charles darwin.....

@ Tinker -- Ha....now that's funny. You might be assuming too much. That rock star pic of me is from the late 70s. Been to college, got me some learning. But what I don't know is how are things VBC?

I think we all had longer hair in the late 70's - was the norm in college

You may be surprised how many lathes are around you. Put the word out that you need something turned, and you may have someone close who could do it for you. Hell, shoot me a sketch,and I will make them. They will only take a few minutes to knock them out.