Warpe

Best All-Around Book

I am looking for a book that is a jack-of-all but master of none (carving, stamping, braiding, patterns, dyeing, etc.). Does one exist?

Just looking for general information. Al Stohlman's book has been mentioned, but is there others?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Warpe

I would need to vote for Al Stohlman books, any and all, depending on what you wish to work on at any given time.

Some of today's professionals smirk at Al's artistic and carving ability, I think there are literally thousands of folks doing excellent leather work just because of this man and his wife.

ferg

I am looking for a book that is a jack-of-all but master of none (carving, stamping, braiding, patterns, dyeing, etc.). Does one exist?

Just looking for general information. Al Stohlman's book has been mentioned, but is there others?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Warpe

ALs comes to mind.

but why the "best"? there are Libraries still and USED book stores around. why limit to ONE book where you have the whole world at your fingertips?

ALs comes to mind.

but why the "best"? there are Libraries still and USED book stores around. why limit to ONE book where you have the whole world at your fingertips?

The "one" book is to get a glimpse at all the possibilities and THAN to expand off of that to the areas that are either useful to me and my work or I myself am interested in.

Basically, I am looking for a book that will introduce me to a bunch of examples and help point me in the area i want to go.

Warpe

I would have to vote for F.O. Baird's Leather Secrets...It's a huge book full of patterns, tips, pics...they are however hard to come by.

I would have to vote for F.O. Baird's Leather Secrets...It's a huge book full of patterns, tips, pics...they are however hard to come by.

I have both of the big F.O. Baird Books and would let both go as a pair if the price were right. Ken

I have both of the big F.O. Baird Books and would let both go as a pair if the price were right. Ken

lol looked that book up. Hard to come by is only half the equation....the going auction prices are a bit out of my range! :surrender:

Do You want book about sewing Leather ?

If you are a beginner, then the first book to get is the "Leatherwork Maunual" by Al Stohlman, A.D.Patten, and J.A.Wilson. This is the book (or excerpts from) used by Boy Scouts and 4-H programs across the country. After you have learned what is in those 160 pages, you won't need anyone to tell you what book to buy next.

To me the best book is definitely Valerie Michael's book on leatherworking. I wish it was the first book that I read about working with leather - and not one of the last I've read.

It's just so good - and cheap too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1844034747

Another one, if you can find it, is Al Stohlman's home study course. Goes from basic tooling, right up into making a purse. It gives all of the tools needed as well as how to do it.

Chris

You can't go wrong by spending some serious time right here. Just poke around! Take some notes on ideas, resources, good sites to visit, and keep coming back to Leatherworker. It takes time to realize what a valuable resource this place is. Stan

I would second the Valerie Michael book. It is a great all around intro book. Al's techniques are great, but I think the explanations and illustrations in Valerie's book are a bit better.

If you can find a copy of Raymond Cherry's book on leather working it is well worth while.

Hello Warpe,

Go to www.abebooks.com and type in "leathercraft" in search bar. Most of the titles suggested to you will be found there, at reasonable prices from a varied amount of sellers. Some offer free shipping as well.

God Bless.

Ray

I own AL Stohlman and Valeria Michaels book and constantly wish I had had access to Stohlmans way earlier. Stohlmans knowledge is extensive, indepth anequivalent to gold dust

which stohlman book? there's a lot more than one...

1 book for everything is a challenge

Can definitely recommend the following though

Leathercraft tools : Al Stohlman

The art of hand sewing leather : Al Stohlman

The Leatherworking handbook : Valerie Michael

above 3 will cover most of what you could want for the basics

carving, stamping etc, is a bit US for my tastes so I don't do any of it, so no recommendations there.

Also, the Stohlman books, art of making leather cases are very good for techniques (but not patterns !)

None of the above are much good for patterns though, all very dated.

The Japanese books are pretty good for newer patterns/ ideas

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/category/books/catId=4053927

The Japanese books are pretty good for newer patterns/ ideas

http://www.goodsjapan.jp/category/books/catId=4053927

leathercrafttools.com has several of those same books for about half what goodsjapan is trying to get for them in case anyone is interested in getting them...no sense in paying more for them for no reason...

http://www.leathercrafttools.com/book/list.jsp

i have no affiliation with them.

leathercrafttools.com has several of those same books for about half what goodsjapan is trying to get for them in case anyone is interested in getting them...no sense in paying more for them for no reason...

http://www.leathercrafttools.com/book/list.jsp

i have no affiliation with them.

nice find !

The only thing with leathercrafttools is that as far as I know, no one has posted here on how reliable they are. I was tempted to check them out awhile back, but no one here at the time knew anything about them.

Personally I don't think the patterns in The Leatherworking Handbook are too bad. A bit minimal, but good for beginning projects. That would be my pick if you had to chose one book. I would definitely agree that the Stohlman books are very out of date for full patterns.

i've ordered the books from them (leathercrafttools.com) and they are very responsive and good at communication. i wouldn't have any hesitation ordering from them again.

the stohlman books are good to learn various techniques needed to build different types of cases. no one needs a fitted case for their old polaroid camera anymore, but there are lots of tips in the books to allow people to build cases of their own design using info in the books.

Edited by LTC

Thanks LTC. I may have to check out those books one more time then.

I would agree with you about the Stohlman cases series. They are great for learning techniques. I'm a fan of them. You just wouldn't want to do a straight build along with too many of the projects.

Warpe

I sent you a PM

I just got back into leather a few years ago. When I did I bought a starter set from tandy. Last night was the first time I opened the book or watched the dvd that came with it. There is alot of useful information for beginners there.