Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Smith And Wesson Smith And Sw9Ve 9Mm Pistol

I was wondering if anyone has ever made a leather holster for one of these? If so I wanted to know if a pattern for a 1911 would fit it or not. Or any thoughts you may have about making one. I am making it for a friend who wants a shoulder holster rig. Have the pattern for the rig and for a 1911. One big differance is the slide is more square and so are the mags. Please let me know what you think. thank you. John

John:

The SW9Ve pistol is considerably larger in just about every dimension than the 1911's. Much thicker and broader slide, larger and thicker trigger guard area, etc. You will need to pattern the holster for the SW9Ve, and use that for forming, to have a satisfactory result.

The Sigma pistols were in production for a relatively short period of time, and have been out of production for several years. So "dummy guns" may be a little difficult to locate. I got mine from Duncan's Outdoors a few years ago, but don't know if they are still producing them. If your friend can make his pistol available for patterning and fitting that would be your best course.

John:

The SW9Ve pistol is considerably larger in just about every dimension than the 1911's. Much thicker and broader slide, larger and thicker trigger guard area, etc. You will need to pattern the holster for the SW9Ve, and use that for forming, to have a satisfactory result.

The Sigma pistols were in production for a relatively short period of time, and have been out of production for several years. So "dummy guns" may be a little difficult to locate. I got mine from Duncan's Outdoors a few years ago, but don't know if they are still producing them. If your friend can make his pistol available for patterning and fitting that would be your best course.

Ummm.... the Sigmas are still a regular catalog item for Smith. I don't know of a time where they were not, but I could be wrong on that. But they are sold quite frequently still today. They are a virtual copy of a Glock 17, so much so Smith got sued and had to pay royalties to Glock for the design. So in a pinch you could use a Glock pattern. I have a pattern for an Avenger style that I made myself so you could go that route as well.

Thank you for the replies. I figured it wouldn't work. I do have the pistol with me for now. The only Smith and wesson pattern I have is for the 357 and don't think it will work. I have never made my own pattern before but would need it to work with the shoulder holster pattern I have. Not sure how to make allowances for thicker frame,trigger guard and such. I made a trce of the pistol just not sure what to do next. Any advice you could give on this? And thanks again for the replies. John

Edited by johnggrg

Thank you for the replies. I figured it wouldn't work. I do have the pistol with me for now. The only Smith and wesson pattern I have is for the 357 and don't think it will work. I have never made my own pattern before but would need it to work with the shoulder holster pattern I have. Not sure how to make allowances for thicker frame,trigger guard and such. I made a trce of the pistol just not sure what to do next. Any advice you could give on this? And thanks again for the replies. John

The normal procedure is to offset your tracing line with a compass by 1/2 the gun thickness plus the thickness of your leather (usually 5/8"-3/4" total). This new line will account for the leather taken up in moulding. Then from that line you draw whatever wings, belt loops, etc.you want for the style of holster you're making. There are many other threads on here that deal with making a pattern. Forum member "particle" has a video on his website you can buy to show the process as well. It's not rocket science, so don't fret.

One thing I always do when making a new pattern is to take some corrugated cardboard and smash it down with a hammer to make it a bit flexible. Then I cut out and assemble with glue all the holster parts out of that to make a mock up. Make sure you have the corrugations running in the same direction as the barrel to make it easier to "form" around the gun. The cardboard comes pretty close to the thickness of the leather and this lets me test fit the gun in the design without wasting leather. It has worked well for me. I am usually pretty close from the get go but will often find a few places that need tweaking to get it just right.

Two things I recommend. Look at the pinned thread called "Holster Design (long)" and visit www.adamsleatherworks.com and look at his How-to videos.

Ummm.... the Sigmas are still a regular catalog item for Smith. I don't know of a time where they were not, but I could be wrong on that. But they are sold quite frequently still today. They are a virtual copy of a Glock 17, so much so Smith got sued and had to pay royalties to Glock for the design. So in a pinch you could use a Glock pattern. I have a pattern for an Avenger style that I made myself so you could go that route as well.

You are probably correct on this. I had thought that the Sigma's had been discontinued because of the Glock lawsuit.

Anyway, while the Sigma shares some of the Glock design it is not a copy of the Glock overall, and a Glock pattern would not result in a proper fit.

Best regards.

Two things I recommend. Look at the pinned thread called "Holster Design (long)" and visit www.adamsleatherworks.com and look at his How-to videos.

+1 on this.

Holster patterning is one of the basics in holster making, and you will have to become proficient if you plan on making holsters on a regular basis. Patterning can be one of the more frustrating aspects of this business. Every holster design has to take into consideration the size and shape of the intended handgun, as well as the weight distribution of the piece (complicated further with the hi-cap semi-autos when a full magazine is loaded into the weapon). Determining stitch-lines is critical to achieving a good fit. Determining the location of belt attachment points is critical to obtaining the cant (carry angle) desired, as well as balancing the weight and keeping the holster secured properly. And these are only a few of the more basic elements of patterning.

Form must follow function. Function must take priority for a number of reasons, the most basic of which are comfort, accessibility, security (safety & retention), and concealability. Developing the ability to form a mental image of the final result is helpful, but not something that everyone is capable of doing. Your first attempt, or your next 20 attempts, may or may not result in what you expect or need. Eventually, either everything will "click" for you and you will be spending your time productively, or maybe it never will happen. Some people are architects, some design automobiles, some folks dream of the world's best mouse trap, and some are world class chefs. Very few do more than one thing really well.

When starting on a new holster design it is not unusual to make and test several holsters before the pattern is finalized. When adapting an existing holster design to a new handgun model the same process is frequently required. It can be frustrating, but it is necessary.

It is not difficult to figure out why so many big holster-making companies make "one size fits many" holster models. I offer 9 holster models, with 4 common options, in 4 finish colors, for 103 handgun models, resulting in over 18,000 possible variations. Doing this requires 927 basic patterns, plus additional patterns for variations in cant and other customer requests, filling desk drawers with reams of patterns. Even with all of those patterns on file I still find that I have to do several new patterns every week as I work through my orders. I also add a dozen or more new handgun models every year, so there will be 100-plus new patterns added, and I've introduced 3 new holster models in the past 3 years, with several hundred new patterns required. One new holster model took 7 months and over a dozen prototypes for different handguns, tested by 6 different people, before it went on the market.

The short version is that patterning work never really stops, no matter how many patterns you already have on hand.

Best regards.

Thanks again for all the replies. I used the cardboard idea and made a pattern. One mistake I made was cutting the wrong way. I ended up cutting one for a left hander instead of for a right hander. OOPS!!! Oh well live and learn. I am going to read up on the pattern making. I will never be making mass quanities of holsters but maybe a few. I just like making things from leather. Thanks again for all your help and advise. JOHN

I had a customer who wanted a Sigma holster. The pattern directions abouve were what I always use. The customer was very pleased. Good luck and don't let too much of the Sigma Cooties get on you.

I recently made a basic belt slide holster for a customer who wanted it for a Sigma .40. I told him I didn't have a mold for it. He assured me that it would fit in a Glock holster, and said that it even fit in a Fobus kydex holster.

I was still a little uncertain, looking at pictures comparing the two guns, but I went ahead and made one just a LITTLE (about 1/8") loose, with the stitching rounded around the trigger guard, like the Sigma, and did only basic molding.

He was perfectly happy with the holster, and said it fit PERFECTLY.