I was wondering if anyone has ever thought of making a WWII U.S Army mussette bag out of leather? I was thinking it would be one cool bag. Then I thought if it were made the same. It could be used with a strap or hanging from D rings on suspenders like originals. If I had an old one I would make a pattern from it but don't have one. The cheap ones are normaly torn to shreads and wouldn't make a good pattern. Anyone ever thought about it???? john

post-11154-004776000 1330777479_thumb.jp

Edited by johnggrg

i've nver thought about it, but i think it's a great idea. from the looks of it, the pattern can't be too hard to make.

i've nver thought about it, but i think it's a great idea. from the looks of it, the pattern can't be too hard to make.

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice to have an exact pattern to make it identical but out of leather. I know I wouldn't take an old one in good condition apart just to make a pattern. But even the worn out ones cost a good amount. So that was why I had asked. Maybe someone else had the same idea at one time and maybe had a pattern they might sell. Was worth a shot. I think it would be one cool bag for sure. John

Although if you wanted it to look the same. How or what hardware would you use for the straps on the flap. I don't think the original hardware for the straps on the flap would work with leather. Any thoughts???? John

no, the original hardware doesn't look like it would work on leather. one thing i've seen before (and someday i'm gonna steal the idea) is to have the hardware applied to the straps even if it isn't a "working" hardware. then use snaps to open and close the bag. in other words, the hardware is just for looks.

just a thought on the pattern. it looks like it could possibly be adapted from an old purse. it's almost like it has a front, a back and one gusset in between.

Edited by ramrod

I am surprised no one has tried it. But it looks like the only way is to buy a worn out one and rip it apart and make the pattern. Little pricey that way. Jon

Measure one if it's handy and make a pattern. Why does it have to be the same size ? You could just make a pattern for one the size you want. I'm betting most people are not going to know what your talking about anyway if you talk about the bag in the picture.

You might try a patent search. Patents often show pattern pieces. First, do an image search and try to find a pic of a tag or label with a patent #, then search the patent #. I have found several great patterns this way. I should note that patterns don't always stay the same once the item goes into production, but it is easy enough to alter a pattern.

Why not just follow some western saddle bag patterns (just make one side), add side pockets, and a shoulder strap.

I think the patent idea is a good idea. Why does it have to be the same size? Well for most people it wouldn't matter. But for me I like the double purpose bag that it was intended to be. Originaly it had two straps that had clip hooks at the end and would go over the soldiers shoulder and hook on to D rings on there suspenders as a back pack. Or add the extender strap which just had a D ring at both ends to the straps with the hooks and it was a shoulder bag.

I was actually thinking of making the hole rig (M36 suspenders, pistol belt, and mussette bag) and maybe the 45 holster and mag pouch. But I think the canteen cover would be tricky. Just an idea I had thought it might be a cool project. John