Sign in to follow this  
Denster

A Couple Of New Holsters Kimber Solo

I've had a number of requests for holsters for the Kimber SOLO. I finally managed to get my hands on one last week and here is what I have come up with so far. Let me know what you think good, bad or indifferant.

post-7354-021768800 1320907759_thumb.jpg

post-7354-022518500 1320907762_thumb.jpg

post-7354-021948900 1320907765_thumb.jpg

post-7354-005384100 1320907768_thumb.jpg

Looks great! Very clean looking. I'm not familiar with the SOLO models, but is that an ambi-mag release? Do you think there would be any reason not to slightly modify the cut line to barely clear the mag release (on the front and back)?

Looks great! Very clean looking. I'm not familiar with the SOLO models, but is that an ambi-mag release? Do you think there would be any reason not to slightly modify the cut line to barely clear the mag release (on the front and back)?

Eric

The SOLO is Kimbers pocket nine. I think Kimber has a real winner with this one. Yes that is an ambi mag release. I like molded over mag relase points particularly on ambi's. In any case it's not a problem with the Kimber as it requires a firm push to release an empty mag with a full mag it requires a really firm push. I think Kimber overbuilt it due to the recoil of this little pocket rocket. It's managable but sharp. I like this little gun. Reliable and much more accurate than it needs to be.

Those look great.

Denster,

How did you achieve the great looking color? Is this drum dyed leather or did you color it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by Haystacker

Really nice, Denster! I'm curious why you didn't take the second stitch line further down on the avenger? Looks as if you had even marked the leather to stitch there.

Those look great.

Denster,

How did you achieve the great looking color? Is this drum dyed leather or did you color it?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

That is drum dyed 8Oz Hermann Oak.

Really nice, Denster! I'm curious why you didn't take the second stitch line further down on the avenger? Looks as if you had even marked the leather to stitch there.

Actually I didn't mark it. I see what you mean in the photo must be a reflection. I didn't take it further because it would serve no purpose and I needed room on the back for my makers mark.

It's probably the foot if your using a machine. Just my $.02 but I would leave it off if its not full length or run it back around the belt loop. Know it doesn't serve a purpose but it looks somewhat awkward. I really like the designs though!

Edited by Eaglestroker

I would leave it off if its not full length or run it back around the belt loop

Or perhaps curve it back along the bottom of the belt slot towards the edge of the holster - that might still leave enough room for your stamp...?

Denster - what ammo were you running through it? Standard pressure? Or +P defensive rounds?

Nice work as usual Denster, I am curious what you think of the Solo. It seems most love them or hate them, I have heard all sorts of good and bad about them even along the lines of Kimber pulling them from the sales floors. Any issue? They look like a great little pistol, I'm hoping to hear some good things about them because I want one.

Beautiful holsters! How are you cutting your belt slots because they look perfect?

Or perhaps curve it back along the bottom of the belt slot towards the edge of the holster - that might still leave enough room for your stamp...?

Denster - what ammo were you running through it? Standard pressure? Or +P defensive rounds?

Eric

Standard pressure 124gr Magtech and 147gr Fiocci and some Hornady TAP rounds. It will run fine also with 115gr as long as the velocity is over 1100fps. Mt brother ran WW whitebox in his and had a few failures to eject on the first round with a full mag underneath. With 5 in the mag it ran fine. Kimber designed this close to the limits and with some really innovative design solutions. The only trick is too use ammo with enough recoil impulse to relaibly cycle the action as to bullet shape it will feed anything no problem.

Nice work as usual Denster, I am curious what you think of the Solo. It seems most love them or hate them, I have heard all sorts of good and bad about them even along the lines of Kimber pulling them from the sales floors. Any issue? They look like a great little pistol, I'm hoping to hear some good things about them because I want one.

It's built like a swiss watch. Most of the reported probllems are from the usual Kimber bashers and some from folks who can't read the instruction manual that came with the gun. On one of the forums a guy was griping because he bought a new one cleaned it and went to the range and the slide locked open every shot. It's obvious he didn't read the manual. Kimber put a tensioning spring on the slide release. When you reassemble it you have to make sure the little slot in the slide release picks up the end of the spring or the slide will lock open every shot. The manual explains it with pictures but who reads manuals:). The rumors that Kimber stopped shipping is because guys have had them on order for a long time and have not received them. The reason for this is that the waiting lists are really long. I was number 65 at my dealer. I lucked into a guy at the gun show that had received his after several months but had in the intervening time bought something else and he had read some of the bashing on the forums so he decided to sell it. Serioiusly I can't find anything not to like about it.

Beautiful holsters! How are you cutting your belt slots because they look perfect?

I use a slot punch I bought from Texas custom die.

Particle and Eaglestroker

The more I look at it I think you guys may be right. I think I'll carry it on down the perifery of the weapon and put my mark on the tag end of the tunnel loop. Thanks Guys!

Sorry to be a pest but I'm glad I could help :)

What finish did you apply, and how? The sheen is just about perfect IMO and I dont see any visible streaking. Airbrush?

What finish did you apply, and how? The sheen is just about perfect IMO and I dont see any visible streaking. Airbrush?

Shooter

That is satin sheen applied with a damp sponge.

How do you guys get such clean accent lines on your holsters? Are you using something akin to a stylus? How do you get such a clean "V" shape like on that avenger holster without burnishing?

Edited by beerbeer95648

How do you guys get such clean accent lines on your holsters? Are you using something akin to a stylus? How do you get such a clean "V" shape like on that avenger holster without burnishing?

I use a vacuum bag to form the holster and bone the details through the bag while it is under vacuum. The tools I use most are a polished deer antler tine, and a rounded end bent tip real bone folder. Detail boning through the bag reduces the amount of pressure I have to use to bring up the detail and there is no problem with burnishing.

Without useing the vacuum, the way I used to do it, was to dampen the leather and when the natural color started to return open the holster and insert the gun and form the gross details with my thumbs. Then I put it between two gum rubber pads in my shop press and pressurized it. This brought up some of the finer detail that I accented with the same tools I mentioned. If the leather is still too damp you will have burnishing. Most folks use way to much moisture and that causes a lot of problems. No matter the method when I wet the leather I have a sink full of warm water with a couple of drops of dish washing liquid to breeak the surface tension. With leather under 8OZ I just give it a one second dip. Heavier leather gets two seconds and drum dyed gets five seconds. I then let it sit for four or five minutes until the surface color comes back. The soaking that a lot of folks do may have some use in molding for cases over forms and such but not for holsters. YMMV

Nice Job Denster