PaganBear

Help with piping

I was hoping someone could help me out.

I have some projects that I'm brainstorming that I would like to add piping to. I think it will give my work a much nicer finish look.

The problem is, I know the basic concept of piping and I remember reading somewhere (I thought here) about how to do piping and that there is a material like wire or string or something that you put on the inside of the piping to help it maintain shape and strength. Unfortunately I cant remember where I read that and I cant seem to find anything on the subject in the forums.

If someone could point me in the right looking direction or give me some keywords or tips, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- Bear

The fabric piping I've used just has a soft polyester cord, but you might want something with more body for leather piping. Don't know what you're using it for; if you want to take it around tight corners a softer cord will probably be better.

I just purchased a piping foot for my Adler and I use 1/4" elastic bungee chord available at most fabric/craft stores. I also have source for Marine Grade Vinyl Piping that has a plastic chord running thru it... Just try to Google "Piping Chord" or "Welting Chord" and you'll see lots of different options available.

One idea might be the rubber spline used to repair or replace window and door screens it comes in 2 or 3 different diameters and 50 to 100 foot lengths, just a few bucks at lowes or home depot.

Thanks guys.....

exactly the kind of info I was looking for

Here in Australia you just buy piping cord, from upholstery supplies or motor trimming supplies, you can also buy piping pre made by the metre/yard