Sign in to follow this  
setherd

method to get my holes aligned and centered?

On my watch straps I currently tape a piece of paper to it and then measure out where I want the holes and draw a square say 2mm across. I then use a hand held punch to cut my holes. The punch fits just inside the square I drew.

It is a lot of work. and even then they aren't as centered as I'd like.

with something as small as a watch strap the slightest deviation is visable.

Anyone have an Idea on a method to get my holes aligned and centerd?

my way seems too complicated.

thanks,

Seth

short of making some type of jig that will align, hold and punch all the holes at once I would lightly scribe a centerline mark off the distance between the holes and punch away. I get better the more holes I do.

Try making a plastic template, exactly the size of the strap end, with slightly bigger holes in it than needed for the watch strap. Then place the template over the leather strap and draw or scribe each hole through the template. Then punch them out.

Tim

If you don't make the template, scribe the light line in the center, & mark your hole locations. When you get ready to punch, place the edge of you tool on the mark. Don't try to center the tool over the mark because you won't be able to see it. If you use the same side of the cutting edge on the mark, then your holes will be perfectly spaced and centered. You can also mark your tool with a visible mark to line up the tool along your scribe line as a secondary verification of exact location.

Marlon

I'm not sure I understand why it is so hard to punch perfect holes on a watch band. Why not just use a pair of dividers?

Ryan Cope

The leathercraft tools book sold by Tandy shows a punch with a spring-loader center finder. I've never seen one offered for sale, though. You would just place the point on your mark, press the punch edge down to your work, and whack it in normal fashion.

What I do when I need the holes exactly cventered, is to make an exect copy of the item out of "Poster Board". Mark where the holes have to be, then punch holes in the poster board larger than what is needed. Then using a GEL pen, I will mark the holes while the template is laying on top of the item. By making round marks, you wil be able to line the punch's outer edge with the marks, and punch perfectly.

When purchasing the GEL pen, be sure to take a piece of leather with you, and be sure that it is one that will just rub off of leather once written on it. There are some that will not clean off easily, and others that will just wpie right off leaving no trace at all.

Hope this helps

Ken

When I make belts or straps, I always scribe a line, mark out my holes along te length, then I lightly press with my hole punch to mark where the hole will be. If its not centered I just press the hole punch down again till I'm satisfied with the location. Don't worry about the previous marks as they will just rub out. That's how I do it anyway, Not an exact science but..... good luck,

John

snip

When purchasing the GEL pen, be sure to take a piece of leather with you, and be sure that it is one that will just rub off of leather once written on it. There are some that will not clean off easily, and others that will just wpie right off leaving no trace at all.

Hope this helps

Ken

Staetdtler Mars (Drafting supplies) Gel pens work the best so far . Available at Staples.

0.4mm triplus gel-liner art nr. 463 dsb6 Comes in a 6 pack of colours