David

My Latest custom order

This is the latest custom order that I started on tonight. I didn't inquire the meaning behind the seat, I'll have to ask about it when I deliver the seat. Feel free to critique or make suggestions.

Needless to say the tooling is not complete.

Dave

IMG_0925.JPG

post-5652-1199932438_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

David,

Very nice work! Question-How is it that you punch all the holes around the perimeter so evenly? Always wondered about that. :)

David,

Very nice work! Question-How is it that you punch all the holes around the perimeter so evenly? Always wondered about that. :)

I measure the perimeter of the leather, then divide that by 100 (the number of holes) I set a pair of dividers to that dimention and step off the centers of the holes. Pretty simple really .

Dave

Dave,

A very powerful image and nice. Please post when you get your order complete.

ELAD

David, what is it you have on the back of the leather? looks like siran wrap....

David, what is it you have on the back of the leather? looks like siran wrap....

Wolvenstien,

It is packing tape, much better than putting rubber cement right on the leather.

Dave

Dave, very nice indeed, I always love the lettering you do. Hope it's not black.

Ken

Dave, very nice indeed, I always love the lettering you do. Hope it's not black.

Ken

Hey Ken,

They haven't requested a color yet.....If they don't say anything, It WILL NOT be black.

I'll post more pics as it progresses.

Dave

look nice david! nice to see you able to do something a bit different for a change :spoton:

look nice david! nice to see you able to do something a bit different for a change :spoton:

It is nice to be able to DO something a bit different, Roger, doing production work keeps you busy, and keeps your skills sharp, but it certainly isn't creative.

Dave

Great work- as is all of your things.

Question- can you get packing tape in sheets or are those strips?

pete

David,

Very nice work, as always.

Couple of questions for you. What kind of lace do you use? what width is it? and do you cut it yourself or buy pre-made?

Thanks,

Marlon

very nice work, I too had a question about the background/packing tape. but question your comment about the use of rubber cement? have you had problems doing it that way? I have used a piece of plexy glass and hve used rubber cement to keep the leather from straching as well as moving. let me know about the pitfalls of doing that.

David,

Very nice work, as always.

Couple of questions for you. What kind of lace do you use? what width is it? and do you cut it yourself or buy pre-made?

Thanks,

Marlon

Hey Marlon, thanks for the kind words. The lace that I used to assemble the seat...the wide stuff is 1/4" kangaroo. I buy it pre made from Jim Downey of Skull Valley, email me for his phone number. The narrow decorative lace that you see on some of my seats is 1/8" calf skin from Tandy. I love the kangaroo lace, it is almost indestructable.

Dave

very nice work, I too had a question about the background/packing tape. but question your comment about the use of rubber cement? have you had problems doing it that way? I have used a piece of plexy glass and hve used rubber cement to keep the leather from straching as well as moving. let me know about the pitfalls of doing that.

I never liked applying rubber cement directly to the leather as glue solvent can soak all the way through to the front of the leather. Applying the packing tape to the back holds the leather in place, prevents movement and shrinking and releases from the tooling board MUCH easier this way. Everyone has their own method of doing this....this is something that was given as a tip on that OTHER leather site.....it was the ONLY good piece of info I got there.

Dave

After another evening of work I think the seat top is finished on this one....On to the seat back tonight.....A skull I think.

I've found the quote....it seems that it was by Alexander the Great describing how he handled his cavalry. It is a loose translation of "Fortis fortuna adiuvat". I didn't know I had such high class biker clientele.

Hope you like these

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

post-5652-1200099350_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1200099365_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1200099374_thumb.jpg

Looks great Dave. It's amazing what a huge diff in looks a little lace can do. Your tooling is always so nice and clean. It's very "crisp" .

Looks great Dave. It's amazing what a huge diff in looks a little lace can do. Your tooling is always so nice and clean. It's very "crisp" .

Thanks Freak,

Yeah, the lace almost makes it look finished doesn't it? Thanks again for the nice words.

and to Pete, sorry I missed the question about the packing tape...they are strips of tape 3" wide.

Dave

well I fiddled with a skull, but it is just too small an area to do a realistic skull which is what I prefer to do.back to the drawing board. Any suggestions?

Dave

Edited by David

Great looking so far Dave, can't wait to see the finished product. As to the skull, can you put a few little ones in a sort of bundle?

Ken

Thanks for the comments guys.

I substituted some coin conchos for a skull carving on the back. The front and back are now complete....Time to start assembling Here are the front and back hides and a small skull I started and rejected.

Hope you enjoy them

IMG_0932.JPG

post-5652-1200168763_thumb.jpg

I've found the quote....it seems that it was by Alexander the Great describing how he handled his cavalry. It is a loose translation of "Fortis fortuna adiuvat". I didn't know I had such high class biker clientele.

Dave, May also be a military thing as I believe it may have been used as a slogan in some military units. Not to say you couldn't have "high class biker clientele", but it may be more likely.

John

Edited by JohnD

Dave, May also be a military thing as I believe it may have been used as a slogan in some military units. Not to say you couldn't have "high class biker clientele", but it may be more likely.

John

You are probably right John. It appears that it is the slogan of the RAF east fortune in Scotland and also the KAG soccer team in England.

Anyway here is the seat now ready to start lacing.

Dave

IMG_0934.JPG

post-5652-1200176501_thumb.jpg

Dave, looks like you got your work cut out for you this evening. Looks real good. I did like the look of the skull though.

Ken

This is the latest custom order that I started on tonight. I didn't inquire the meaning behind the seat, I'll have to ask about it when I deliver the seat. Feel free to critique or make suggestions.

Needless to say the tooling is not complete.

Dave

Very nice! I like the way you made the carving stand out by not using a lot of background. The sword looks old & realistic.

Kat Frye