esantoro

Burnishing the edges of chrome-tanned leather?

I make leather briefcase/satchels. Usually I use veg tanned, but now and again I come across a good price for chrome tanned and decide to make a softer bag.

Is there a way to burnish the edges of two layers of chrome tanned, perhaps soe sort of rubberized compound for just such a purpose. The well known bag makers seem to do this, but they might be using some fancy and expensive machine.

Ed

I make leather briefcase/satchels. Usually I use veg tanned, but now and again I come across a good price for chrome tanned and decide to make a softer bag.

Is there a way to burnish the edges of two layers of chrome tanned, perhaps soe sort of rubberized compound for just such a purpose. The well known bag makers seem to do this, but they might be using some fancy and expensive machine.

Ed

You can do it, but you will need to use a polishing iron rather than a slicker. Polishing irons are made of brass, bronze, or in modern times stainless, but you will need to put a stiffener tape on your seam before you do this.

But in the end, this process is a pain on chrome tannage.

You might want to consider skiving your edges, turn them in , and sew it. Its actually quicker than trying to properly burnish the edges of chrome tannage.

You can do it, but you will need to use a polishing iron rather than a slicker. Polishing irons are made of brass, bronze, or in modern times stainless, but you will need to put a stiffener tape on your seam before you do this.

But in the end, this process is a pain on chrome tannage.

You might want to consider skiving your edges, turn them in , and sew it. Its actually quicker than trying to properly burnish the edges of chrome tannage.

I've been thinking about just that turning the edges in. But it seems like a lot of work on 5/6 oz chrome tanned without a skiving machine. The edges would have to be skived down to 1 oz, yes? Let's say on a 1-1/4" shoulder strap, should I leave 1/4" free on each side of the strap to be turned in?

Ed

I've been thinking about just that turning the edges in. But it seems like a lot of work on 5/6 oz chrome tanned without a skiving machine.

If this is something you are going to be consistenly doing, I would invest in a paring machine. You can get a manual one new for about $350ish. But it is really worth it if you are doing it allot. You can also use a spokeshave.

The edges would have to be skived down to 1 oz, yes? Let's say on a 1-1/4" shoulder strap, should I leave 1/4" free on each side of the strap to be turned in?

Ed

Yes, but it also depends on the final look you want, and what else you are doing with it. Leave a minimum of 3/8". Dont forget the bend allowance. If nothing is going on the back, you may want to leave a little more so you can straighten it out when all is said and done.

Also, I forgot to mention you could also put piping on the edge too, this way you dont have to turn it, but you will still have to skive it.