dscott

Strap for first project help question

This is what i want to do for my nephew for christmas i know it is a long way off but just got my first tools and this is going to be my first real project I hope. I know i have a lot of hours of practice in front of me. i used the layout CitizenKate posted redrew it in Cad and used the broken chain that leatheroo used on her bracelet. This is the drawing i have come up with had to scan it so hope pics not to bad please let me know if i need to add anything or layout something different justed added the name to get the position any suggestions on a font to use would be great.

All suggestions welcome

Thanks

David

DOC012.PDF

DOC012.PDF

David, you do have all things centerd but...................when the strap is finished , it looks to me like the

name is going to be on the bend of the shoulder , i think it would look better if the name was closer to the end of the strap.

thank you i would not have thought of that till it was too late

i may need to come up with a different design to go arround it

David

My general rule is that the lettering should not go higher than 10" from the peg hole end. Hold a guitar to your chest, and you'll see that the front view is only good, in most circumstances, for the first foot. Some rockers like a low slung strap, which gives more room, but for most, it's just that first 8-10".

Thank you so much like i said this is my first and i have alot to learn i knew all on here would give me great advice

David

thank you i would not have thought of that till it was too late

i may need to come up with a different design to go arround it

David

David something to think about........Bring the chain down to the bottom, let the first chain link

surround the straplock hole, then start the name. This might work better.

I like that idea alot

Thanks Luke

David

Again thank you both for your responses

what would be a good font to use on this one any suggestions

David

David the font on your pattern looks good to me.

this i know.........Look at 100 different fonts and you will be confused a 100

different ways.

Experiment................

again thanks

i know i ask alot of questions

David

One thing I've been nagging alot about here on the board is borders. Very important to know when to use a border and when to not. Most times a border is needed to "hold the composition" of your design together and then there are those times that is the exception that confirms the rule. Some designs work better without a border and I can't tell you much about that, only that I know it when I see one, lol. Also there are times when you incorporate borders into the design, Bob Park aka hidepounder has some excellent work where he does this.

I see you have borders incorporated, maybe they are sewing channels, anyway sewing channels work very good as a border when you use for example a white thread on a black leather. Even with a black thread on black leather it many times serves purpose as a border really well.

I like the design you came up with (it'd be really cool for a belt) and you have allready gotten good pointers about the name going over the shoulder.

Lukes idea sounds very good, I'd try and redraw it and see how it looks.

Tom

Thank you Tom

I worked on a new drawing taking all the suggestions and i redid the chain I think I like this one better all thoughts welcome

David

still may shorten the links i dont know thoughts

DOC012.PDF

DOC012.PDF

Edited by dscott

David, that lookd great.......But what if ?

do a pattern where the chain links are 1/2 to 3/4 of that size.

just a thought.

Thanks Luke

the length or the overall size

David

Edited by dscott

David, the size of the LINKS.........

ok

Again thanks

you guys are so great to help

David

Edited by dscott

That looks really cool David!

Good suggestions and support from you Luke!!!

Where the links connect you have a small gap. Carving and tooling would be easier if you eliminated that gap also that is how a stretched chain looks like.

Also keep in mind that letters are very hard to carve, the chain is also very similar to the letters to carve. I recommend that you try some with a scrap piece first.

Correct casing is allways important but for letters I am allways extra careful with that. I don't do letters if the leather feels to moist.

I use ceramic angled blades for all my carving nowadays but originally I started using a regular Tandys filigree blade just because of lettering.

Tom

Thanks

i was thinking the same thing i didnt like the little gap either

I know i have a lot of practic to do a lot

David

Edited by dscott

Thanks

i was thinking the same thing i didnt like the little gap either

I know i have a lot of practic to do a lot

David

Yes you do have alot of practice but it'll pay off in the end. Keep one thing in mind when carving, you should not need to feel like you're forcing the knife through the leather. It should feel like cutting through butter BUT with new blades that hasn't been stropped (polished alot) you may get some drag from the blades (ceramics is well known for this). Some people use a carving solution wich allows the blade to slide easier. Not available in Sweden so never worked with that.

Tom

first thanks to all you guys are great to help a very very nube

Ok next update and i think the best yet i have 2 the links are smaller in one

let me know if i am getting closer

Thanks

David

Drawing3_Model__1_.pdf

Drawing3_Model__1_.pdf

Edited by dscott