linstone

Repurposing Decorative Rivets From Old Belts

Is there any way to remove rivets from old belts and such and reuse them? I have seen so many cheap belts and purses etc. in thrift stores that have really nice rivets. I'm new to leather and I'd like to re-use them on leather projects.

It will depend on the type of rivet. I think in most cases you will have troublehaving a reusable piece once you get it off what ever it is on. Most rivets are designed so that when the female end or top piece (head) of the rivet is hammered down on to the male end or base of the rivet the male end or base expands inside the female end and in some cases mushrooms locking the two pieces together. You may be able to cut off the base freeing the rivet from the belt or what ever however getting the shaft out of the tube of the female end of the rivet may be difficult. Having said that I have found that even on commercialy made production items the rivets are not always set properly and you may be able to pull them apart using something to pry and or a couple pairs of pliers.

Thanks, I did manage to get the base off of one,and tried to reset it with another base.. It didn't 'grab' very well and the post also bent a little. I'll try some others. It may have been a particularly cheap one.

What are you using to ste the rivets?

OK, don't laugh, I'm new to leatherwork and don't really have the right tools yet. I put the reclaimed rivet through the hole in the leather face down on carpet (its domed and has a stone in it) put a new back on it and whacked it with a rubber mallet.

Ok, thatwill give you some problems getting it set. Lay a piece of leather on a hard flat surface, place your rivet head face down on the piece of leather this will protect the face of the rivet but give you a firm backing. If you don't have a rivet setter place something hard like a peice of metal over the base of the rivet now hit that withthe mallet. Not ideal but shouldgive you better results. Also you mentioned the stem on one of the rivetsbent, that may indicate the tivet was to long for your application.

Ok, tha twill give you some problems getting it set. Lay a piece of leather on a hard flat surface, place your rivet head face down on the piece of leather this will protect the face of the rivet but give you a firm backing. You can even cut a hole in a second piece of leather nd glue on top of the first this will give you a little well to sit the rivet in. If you don't have a rivet setter place something hard like a peice of metal over the base of the rivet now hit that withthe mallet. Not ideal but shouldgive you better results. Also you mentioned the stem on one of the rivetsbent, that may indicate the tivet was to long for your application.

Edited by camano ridge