kellykungfu

General Rule Of Thumb For Diamond Awl Size To Needle Size And Then Thread?

Hi Everyone,

Is there a general rule of thumb for diamond awl size to needle size and to thread? For example, should the diamond awl and the needle thickness be the same? Should the needle be twice as thick as the thread (since each hole should have two threads in it)?

Thanks in advance.

I only have one awl that I use for Harness needles 0-2. Since the hole closes up Im not sure that there is a formula or a need to use different thicknesses.

Use the smallest needle you can, it makes stitching much easier. If you taper your threads you can use some ridiculously small needles; I use no4 needles with 12/5 or larger thread. If you don't taper then you will need to use larger. No2 is a good general size that works fine for 18/3 thread. Awls should be selected based on the total thickness of leathers you are stitching. 1-1/2 inch blades are fine for two layers of 9oz.

Edited by Matt S

I agree with "the smallest needle you can use". Going by your "rule of thumb" request.....if you can push both needles and threads through the awl hole with no problems, the hole is too big. Needing pliers to pull the needle through is just fine. That said, when I hand stitch, my holes are such that I can push/pull the first needle through with a little difficulty, but I need the pliers for the second one. I'm using an old Osborne awl (the one Tandy used to sell) and 3 cord linen.