Clay

Monthly challenge for June

Well it is finaly back. The monthly challenge for June is a celtic pattern. Just like the other challenges, you can tool this pattern in any way that you like, change it to fit and color it if you wish. This is going to be a fun pattern and a little "challenging".

ClayM.

celtic2.jpg

post-255-1212070902_thumb.jpg

Hey Clay, I'm not too good with these computers and doing stuff like enlarging things, so could you possibly put a picture of the June pattern up that will be/print out bigger. Thanks a lot Billy P

Not very good when resizing up cuz of the high compression but you should be able to pull a decent transfer from it.

Good luck!

Tom

celtic2.jpg

post-5146-1212105434_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

ahhhh, thank you!!!! I've been missing these.

Okay - I'll go first :)

It's not too pretty, still having trouble getting rid of the haloing. I will figure it out someday, I hope. This is no 2. No 1 was too small at 2.5 inches wide. Thought I would go for a coaster, but needed something to protect me from a very sharp knife. So this is what I came up with. There are 3 layers of leather blade end. (Middle one I cut crescent shaped to follow the curve of the blade and act as a stop.) Not a good design, I have already skived some of the lace putting it in and out, but it will do for now. Medium Brown antique stain - 2 coats. I need to get brave and try color.

CC6.jpg

ccback.jpg

Crystal

post-6163-1213070963_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1213070978_thumb.jpg

Crystal,

That looks great!!! Great job on the stamping, and the lacing looks very nice. I like how you took the patern and made something usefull out of it. Thanks for taking the challenge and posting the pictures.

ClayM.

Great start, Crystal! I like how you incorporated the art into a functional design, and the lacing is quite nice, also.

Kate

Okay - I'll go first :)

Not very good when resizing up cuz of the high compression but you should be able to pull a decent transfer from it.

Good luck!

Tom

TOM THANKS FOR MAKING IT LARGER........ now to find time to carve it..........

Thanks for the homework and the critique, Clay. This was fun and hope to try more.

Thanks for the comments, Kate. I have a few doodles laying around here and wanted to make something other than just a practice piece this time. I enjoy doing the lacing and it does help cover not so perfect edges. ;)

Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with. I may have to retry this after seeing some "cheat sheets". :)

Crystal

Dangit. I wanted to be the first. I probably WOULD have been if I had only posted the pictures I took. I saw the design right after it was posted and KNEW it was right up my alley! I scaled it for a rounder, and got busy. By the end of the day, June 1, I had my little Celtic rounder.

IMG_4497.JPG

Then I got turbo lazy and never uploaded the picture! Oh well. At least Crystal made a cool somethign out of her project. Mine's just another wierd round thing laying around...

Brent

post-5266-1214059838_thumb.jpg

Dangit. I wanted to be the first. I probably WOULD have been if I had only posted the pictures I took. I saw the design right after it was posted and KNEW it was right up my alley! I scaled it for a rounder, and got busy. By the end of the day, June 1, I had my little Celtic rounder.

IMG_4497.JPG

Then I got turbo lazy and never uploaded the picture! Oh well. At least Crystal made a cool somethign out of her project. Mine's just another wierd round thing laying around...

Brent

I like the pointed ends on yours - somehow when I traced mine, I rounded them out.

And you did get yours done first - I was no where near done on the 1st of June. Great job!

Crystal

Brent,

Great job on the tooling. Gotta do something about the turbo tho... LOL

Thanks for taking the challenge!!!

ClayM.

TOM THANKS FOR MAKING IT LARGER........ now to find time to carve it..........

weeell, if we hang around here long enough time should come to us....

and a couple of these :cheers: , listening to a cd or two :drum: , oh and a whisky upon that and now check out the latest post on LW :Newsicon: and so we're ready to do some leatherwo.......oh, oops :jawdropper: almost morning and time to go to sleep. Oh well, tomorrow... :taptap::deadsubject:

Tom

I couldn't let a Celtic one pass me by...so here's what I came up with. Just a basic rounder. I had more trouble with the circle (hate 'em!) than the knot itself...No one else had done inverted, so I went that route:

006.JPG

post-5639-1214359228_thumb.jpg

OK, I have never done any Celtic before. Stepping out of the box here and showing my version of cowboy Celtic. I kind of free handed the pattern in, and there are a couple rough spots. I thought about backgrounding with a tiny basket, but on a scrap that looked too busy to me and took away from the design. I can see this as the center on a rope can, hide inlay, and a Celtic design outer ring. This is a lot fun, I am already thinking of some design changes. Thanks Clay for coming up with the design and idea.

Cowboy_Celtic__Medium_.jpg

post-29-1214590530_thumb.jpg

wow bruce!!...ya i think it would look great on some saddle related work vs traditional...

look forward to seein you use this concept in your work, with the cowboy touch :cowboy:

darryl

Bruce,

Very nice!! I am very impressed with what you came up with!!!I like the rope look and have never been very good at it. I am trying to remember if you have done a demo here on how you do the rope stamping. If you have it would be cool to see it again. (hint hint)

ClayM.

Neat thread! it is the weekend... :cheers: ...I wonder what mine would look like after a few of these? Everyones is very nice! And yes, a tutorial on the rope would be awesome....another hint bruce..... ;) . I do too many horses. I need to start doing other things.

Bruce, i like your idea of useing rope for the Celtic design.. like sodapop said i think it would look great on saddle related stuff .. i to would like to see a demo on your rope work..great job!!

I used a "sharpie metallic silver" marker on this and gave it a coat of Neat-Lac. That was a few weeks ago and I've been using it as a coaster since then so it has had some exposure to water. It still looks the same now (for better or worse).

P5160007.jpg

post-6504-1214809973_thumb.jpg

OK, I have never done any Celtic before. Stepping out of the box here and showing my version of cowboy Celtic. I kind of free handed the pattern in, and there are a couple rough spots. I thought about backgrounding with a tiny basket, but on a scrap that looked too busy to me and took away from the design. I can see this as the center on a rope can, hide inlay, and a Celtic design outer ring. This is a lot fun, I am already thinking of some design changes. Thanks Clay for coming up with the design and idea.

Love it! What stamp do you use for your rope?

Crystal

[brain straining to come to grips...]

"Rope - Celtic Knot"... [snap] "Celtic Rope Knot"... [crackle] "Celtick Knot with Rope"... [ding!]

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!!! WHY HASN'T SOMEONE DONE THIS BEFORE??? It is the most incredible mental conjugation since "I THINK THEREFORE I AM". I have enough trouble doing the Celtic Knots and now I have a new standard to live up to. Bruce - I doff my lynch lid to you. You could not have connected two more perfect dots together.

OK, so maybe I was over the top a tad, but it is a fantastic idea. Great job!

Brent