Sign in to follow this  
bigorange

finishing the edge of a wallet

Hello all this is my first post and I want to let everyone who reads this know what a great site this is. I am building a biker/ trucker style wallet of my own design I have tooled the cover and the interior is build from up to three layers of thing hide that looks like an exotic, I will hand sew the edge after the cement cures , I have edge dressing should I just apply it to the raw edges or what woyld you recomend

Thanks in advance,, Big Orange

For every leatherworker, there are at least 3 ways to answer this question. Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner and search for edge finishing or burnishing. I use gum tragacanth and an edge slicker or water and a piece of deer antler or gum trag and a piece of denim or...... see what I mean. The goal is the heat up the fibers of the leathers edge through friction to bond them together and make them smooth. The black edge dressing is just to pretty it up.

Hello all this is my first post and I want to let everyone who reads this know what a great site this is. I am building a biker/ trucker style wallet of my own design I have tooled the cover and the interior is build from up to three layers of thing hide that looks like an exotic, I will hand sew the edge after the cement cures , I have edge dressing should I just apply it to the raw edges or what woyld you recomend

Thanks in advance,, Big Orange

For every leatherworker, there are at least 3 ways to answer this question. Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner and search for edge finishing or burnishing. I use gum tragacanth and an edge slicker or water and a piece of deer antler or gum trag and a piece of denim or...... see what I mean. The goal is the heat up the fibers of the leathers edge through friction to bond them together and make them smooth. The black edge dressing is just to pretty it up.

Thanksa for getting back to me, I spents some time on here yesterday and I get the three ways answer, however I did see something here I have never heard of and that was appling oil to the leather before applying oil dye,, any thoughts?