builderofstuff

First Attempt At Milling Stamps

Something I've wanted to try for ages and finally got around to experimenting with. These were just really quick tests to see how/if it would work. I'm just using my little cnc benchtop milling machine to do these, nothing fancy or super precise like a laser.

Chris

post-15942-0-52225100-1417066995_thumb.j

awesome start if that's 'just playing around'! I take it you're making stamping blocks, then using a press?

Thanks.

Yeah, the biohazard was milled out of a scrap of corian, and the shield logo was milled from a scrap of delrin. I used my harbor freight arbor press to do the stamping, it's what I use when I'm using the tandy 3d stamps.

Chris

So here are the three I've made so far. I just whipped up the whovian stamp a little bit ago, but it needs some cleanup. I think I'm going to have to experiment with the speed and feed on the mill to get them to come out a bit cleaner. I also have a hollow spindle that I made for the mill that lets me run the cutter with a dremel tool. That might be a better way to go.

Chris

post-15942-0-59952400-1417072844_thumb.j

Chris __________ I think this is certainly a step in the right direction,

I like the one that looks like horns in three directions, Not sure of what your calling it !

I like the idea of using your harbor freight press as well. ----------- Wild Bill46

I love the Whovian stamp .. And I recognize the bird, but can't place it. "Starship Troopers", maybe?

Bill

The middle one is the agents of shield emblem and the last one is a biohazard logo. Its been fun experimenting with them. I was surprised that Dorian worked as well as it did.

Chris

That's corian not Dorian.

Chris

Nice job, when will you be taking orders?

Nice job, when will you be taking orders?

I hadn't planned on selling any, there are already folks out there doing it with much more precise equipment than me and are turning out much higher quality products.

Chris

I think I'm going to try acrylic next, I have a ton of 1/2" thick acrylic left over from my harmonica business.

Chris

I hadn't planned on selling any, there are already folks out there doing it with much more precise equipment than me and are turning out much higher quality products.

Chris

Just checking. I am in need of my Mud Slough Knives USA logo for my leather work. Sorry I was going to post a pic, but its not allowed.

Steve

Edited by slatroni

You can't post a pic of your logo?

Chris

I am new here and have not learned to post a pic yet. I am asked for a URL, my pics are on my computer.

My logo is my cover photo on my FB page under Mud Slough Knives USA.

Edited by slatroni

If you click on more reply options by the post button it will bring up a box where you can select to upload a picture from your computer, then click the add to reply button, that will show it in the post.

Chris

Thanks Chris, here ya go

post-57152-0-70093000-1417370054_thumb.j

Glad it worked for you.

Chris

Nice job, Chris! I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! Now I'm jealous - I wish I could divert my husband into leatherworking. He says he can make anything I want on his machine for me, but I have to learn adobe illustrator first. Or Solidworks. Whichever. :(

Edited by MonicaJacobson

Nice job, Chris! I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! Now I'm jealous - I wish I could divert my husband into leatherworking. He says he can make anything I want on his machine for me, but I have to learn adobe illustrator first. Or Solidworks. Whichever. :(

There's a super simple and free program called F-engrave http://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html that is really easy to learn, quick to use, and can generate gcode from either fonts, bitmaps, or dxf files. Creating a stamp can be as simple as starting with a clipart image. With a program like that you don't need to worry about learning gcode, the program will take care of that for you.

Chris

Sweet! I'll definitely look into that, thanks!

my pleasure

Chris

I appreciate all the feedback and compliments from everyone, and I appreciate the interest from folks interested in buying stuff like this from me. Ive been self-employed for the last 6 years doing custom work on harmonicas and I think Ive just become gun shy when it comes to selling folks stuff. Ive had so many bad experiences over the last six years that I think Ive just gotten to the point where I'm afraid to do it. Also there are already folks who are established out there and because of past experiences I feel a certain hesitation to step in and take business away from them.

Chris

Got ya.

Thanks for the post.

Steve