thekid77

Fyi - To Anyone Who Wants A Jet Black Dye That Will Not Rub Off...

Hey friends,

I just wanted to let everybody know that I had been looking for a way to dye leather black and not have it lift up when applying the acrylic resolene, or bleed/run...

I have found the solution and BELIEVE me, this stuff works...

Tandy Professional Waterstain

From what I have read, Tandy dye products have gotten a pretty bad reputation for not penetrating, lifting, and bleeding...

Let me tell you my experience with this stuff...

I took a scrap piece of leather and dyed it black with the Tandy Black Waterstain... I was told to wait 24 hours before buffing it and applying the resolene......I waited about 8 hours instead because I'm impatient lol...

I took the piece I dyed and buffed it....I noticed hardly any black came off at all. Even better, when I applied the resolene with an old white T-shirt, you could barely see the slightest hint of grey color on it.

Here's what impressed me the most though...I took another scrap bit of leather and dyed it. Waited 8 hours, then without applying any finish, i took it to the sink and ran water over the leather that I dyed black and rubbed it vigorously in the dyed area. NOTHING came off at all.

I hope that everyone looking for a solution to the dying thngs black problem reads this post and gives it a chance. This stuff is unbelievable!!

I agree totally. It gives a truer black than fiebings pro oil stain, no purple sheen. I have tried tan and medium brown also, and the colors come out much nicer when just rubbed on. Had to spray to get even finish without blotchy effect when using Fiebings.