Sign in to follow this  
heath

Layout of flowers

I've recently started back after quitting the shop I used to make saddles at. I was a saddle maker and only tooled there a few times when we were swamped. Our tooler would lay it out and from there I'm confident. I was wanting to find a cheat for laying out corners on saddles, don't have the demand or desire as of now to do a full tooled rig. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Hey heath!

Pete Gorrell has a book called "Floral Pattern Drawing for the Artistically Impaired" that's really good. I took a class from Pete in March in Asheville, NC, and he really made it all seem easier than it ever has before. "Sheridan Style Carving with Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay" by Bob Likewise really sets forth all the basics for Sheridan style. Either book is generally available and should start you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Mike

Heath,

Mike is right on! I haven't read Pete's book, I'm sure it's good, but I consider the Likewise book the Bible for toolers. I still refer to it from time to time. A very simple corner stamp theme is simply a single flower centered in a vine encircling the flower, with a couple of leaves branching off. The examples of how to layout flowers in the Sheridan Style Carving book will show you how to do this...it includes lots of photos of work by Master Toolers for inspiration.

Bob

Heath

Chan Geer also has several Sheridan how to books and pattern packs out, and one of them is nothing but corners.

The pattern packs are distributed by Hide Crafter Leather out of Fort Worth 1.888.263.5277

Hope this helps

Tim

Edited by TimKleffner

Thanks Tim!

I sure didn't mean to slight Chan. He's a great guy and a terriffic instructor. He was across the hall from Pete's class in North Carolina, and his group had a ball. I think he's scheduled to teach again next March. Kevin from Hides to Art will be posting announcements for that get-together, and it's well worth the trip!

Mike