MarkB

Dovewing spur leathers

This is my first pair that I have carved. I line all my spur leathers with 2-3 oz. strap and try to keep all hardware away form the boots if I can.(rivets ect.) These have hand engraved concho's by Ken Cureton.

Igear08_001.jpg

post-9505-1236403254_thumb.jpg

Edited by MarkB

Beautiful! You done good.

Everything fits where its supposed to, and the silver is just, well, perfect to the whole thing.

Now that's a nice pair of straps!

Very nice neat top notch job.

Again, excellent job Mark...I like your work!

What is your method of fastening the leathers to spurs? I'm gessing that you just have the usual holes punch with a little slit in the back of the linning. Are these also lined with 2/3oz. strap leather? If so how is it working for you and do you feel its heavy enough. I'v made a few pair of dovewings simular to what you got here except they were just plain basket stamped 9/10oz. tooling leather, unlined with the spur buttons showing. Eventually, I would like to give this hidden style a try.

Thanks,

Jed

Yeah, excellent background dye job. Quite attractive. I'm wondering what your stitching set-up is. Thread and needle, etc.

I'm also interested in how you put those straps on the spurs. As for messing up someone's boots with a spur strap rivet or something...... heh, anyone that wears spurs probably isn't too concerned about a little rub mark. The barnyard "atmosphere" , trail dust, horse sweat, tree limbs , bar stools or whatever else one's boots come in contact with will surely hide them.

These are not really hidden. There is no holes and slits cut in these spur leathers in this picture. I do mostly custom work and had not received the measurements that I needed to put the holes in the right place's. I take a lot of measurements on most every thing I make, from chaps to headstalls to spur leathers to belts. To me that's what make them custom made. Same with covering the rivets not that most care or even know the difference but I do. That's just me. I have hidden the spur button in the lining with success before. Thanks for the great comments.

Mark, you've taken a fairly simple project, and made it outstanding. I've been admiring your carving on these, and the detail. Also, like Go 2 Tex mentioned, the background die job is real nice. I too was wondering about the button attatchment behind the concho. I ususally do a tab back there, but you seem to imply that its just a slit in the lining? More pics would be great. And more of your work too. Real nice.

Mark, you've taken a fairly simple project, and made it outstanding. I've been admiring your carving on these, and the detail. Also, like Go 2 Tex mentioned, the background die job is real nice. I too was wondering about the button attatchment behind the concho. I ususally do a tab back there, but you seem to imply that its just a slit in the lining? More pics would be great. And more of your work too. Real nice.

Dually

I use loop back conchos with a strap 3/4" wide with hole and slot on one end. The other end has a hole for a chicago screw. On my custom conchos Ken silver solders a chicago screw to the edge of the concho. This hides the screw but makes it easier to put them on the spurs. I have used a T shaped tab and I have riveted just a strap in the back. The problem I have with this is that it can be difficult to attach the to the spurs for some people, with the screws they can put the strap on the spurs then put the strap back on the spur leathers with the screw.(be sure to put lock tight on the screws or they will came undone). I will try to put some pictures on after I make the next pair, sorry but I don't have any pictures right now.

Mark

Yeah, excellent background dye job. Quite attractive. I'm wondering what your stitching set-up is. Thread and needle, etc.

I'm also interested in how you put those straps on the spurs. As for messing up someone's boots with a spur strap rivet or something...... heh, anyone that wears spurs probably isn't too concerned about a little rub mark. The barnyard "atmosphere" , trail dust, horse sweat, tree limbs , bar stools or whatever else one's boots come in contact with will surely hide them.

I use a Boss sticher with 207 thread and 180 needle. I hope to lose the Boss for a better machine as soon as the funds allow.

Mark

I've been doing some buckaroo style straps here lately but these make me want to go cut out a pair of dovewings. Very nice work.