Just wondering what some of you use for a finish? I recently started using the Tandy Professional Gloss. It's a little too glossy for my taste. If you could please post a picture of one of your holsters with your favorite finish.

Just wondering what some of you use for a finish? I recently started using the Tandy Professional Gloss. It's a little too glossy for my taste. If you could please post a picture of one of your holsters with your favorite finish.

Tan Kote, cut 50-50 w/ water-nice mellow sheen, not glossy 

Edited by mncarpenter

From the old grump; I primarily make holsters, and a few knife sheaths. Here's a replica of the pictured holster (the original was made about 100 years ago) and a knife sheath. I used my normal finish on both --- two coats (misted on with an airbrush) of a 50/50 mix of Mop and Glo (the floor stuff) and water. When dry, followed with a very light touch of neutral Kiwi shoe polish rubbed in by hand and buffed. Been using the stuff for over 40 years with no problems. Mike

002-13.jpg

002-3-1.jpg

Edited by katsass

Doesn't Tandy have a Satin version as well? I personally have been happy with 50/50 Angelus 600 & water. I'm almost out, so will use up my Fiebing's Resolene but will still cut it 50/50 with water. Prior to that I was very happy with Tandy's Satin Sheen full-strength. If I were to use it again, I'd still cut it 50/50. I'll airbrush the finish (heavy coats so it soaks in well) if I'm in a hurry, but I usually brush it on liberally with a foam sponge brush so it soaks in really well.

I do mainily sheaths, and a holster on request of a knife client who wants matching leather ( 4 or 5 a year), I use 50/50 Tan Coat, after it dries followed with Aussie over night - hand rubbed & polished for a nice luster shine.

post-22369-055297500 1336403134_thumb.jp

post-22369-080809500 1336403201_thumb.jp

50/50 Resolene with a sponge brush, I love the mellow tone.

32-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

My favorite is Bag-Kote diluted with 20% water

cfb178cf.jpg

Here's an example of Angelus MATTE diluted 50/50 with water. It's a couple ticks shinier then the Bag-Kote The cordovan for the compact is horshide, which starts out smoother so also appears shinier in the end.

c9412585.jpg

Edited by markush

Doesn't Tandy have a Satin version as well? I personally have been happy with 50/50 Angelus 600 & water. I'm almost out, so will use up my Fiebing's Resolene but will still cut it 50/50 with water. Prior to that I was very happy with Tandy's Satin Sheen full-strength. If I were to use it again, I'd still cut it 50/50. I'll airbrush the finish (heavy coats so it soaks in well) if I'm in a hurry, but I usually brush it on liberally with a foam sponge brush so it soaks in really well.

Particle I see you have used Angelus 600 and Fiebings Resolene acrylic finishes. Can you tell us why you prefer the Angelus 600 over the Fiebings Resolene?

Loving all the input on this thread. Mop n glo? Never woulda guessed, but it looks very good. Please keep the inputs coming.

I wanted an authentic looking, black cowboy rig.

I also wanted an authentic finish.

This one has it: 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil, . . . hand rubbed, hand buffed.

When you use the word "favorite", . . . this is my favorite finish.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-068295800 1336480328_thumb.jpg

Particle I see you have used Angelus 600 and Fiebings Resolene acrylic finishes. Can you tell us why you prefer the Angelus 600 over the Fiebings Resolene?

I'm still new enough at this game that I'm open to suggestions. Another holster maker on this forum suggested I try the Angelus 600, so I did. I'm not really sure what the difference is between Resolene and Angelus 600 - I'd assume they are very similar, and I'm not sure what makes one any better/worse than the other. I like to get as many things as possible from the same supplier, provided the price is reasonable. If one supplier carries a particular acrylic finish, but not the other, I'd easily switch to what's on the shelf (so to speak), because I assume all the acrylic finishes are pretty much the same...

All that being said - I was initially frustrated with the tacky plastic feeling of the Fiebings Resolene. I was applying it full strength with an airbrush. It wasn't until I started applying the Angelus 600 cut 50/50 that I got rid of most of the tacky feeling. Even with two coats, it didn't seem as tacky as the resolene. But, that may have something to do with being thinned down. If I end up with a tacky holster now, I just put a light coat of neutral shoe polish on it and call it good.

I'm still new enough at this game that I'm open to suggestions. Another holster maker on this forum suggested I try the Angelus 600, so I did. I'm not really sure what the difference is between Resolene and Angelus 600 - I'd assume they are very similar, and I'm not sure what makes one any better/worse than the other. I like to get as many things as possible from the same supplier, provided the price is reasonable. If one supplier carries a particular acrylic finish, but not the other, I'd easily switch to what's on the shelf (so to speak), because I assume all the acrylic finishes are pretty much the same...

All that being said - I was initially frustrated with the tacky plastic feeling of the Fiebings Resolene. I was applying it full strength with an airbrush. It wasn't until I started applying the Angelus 600 cut 50/50 that I got rid of most of the tacky feeling. Even with two coats, it didn't seem as tacky as the resolene. But, that may have something to do with being thinned down. If I end up with a tacky holster now, I just put a light coat of neutral shoe polish on it and call it good.

I am using Angelus 600 cut 50/50 with h2o and I do really like the finish. I am also trying to keep my buying to one supplier. I live 45 minutes from Weaver Leather which is close enough for me to pick up all my items without getting dinged on shipping cost and hazmat fees when buying some items in gallons. Weaver doesn't carry the Angelus 600 but does carry the Fiebings Resolene. I think I might just pick up a quart of Resolene and cut it 50/50 with h2o and see how it compares to Angelus 600.

Edited by triage1998