eastwes

preventing dye from rubbing off onto clothes

i'm producing my first order of belts, hand dyed and tooled, and i want to be sure the dye on the inside doesn't bleed into the customers' clothing. i don't want to use an acrylic sealant because it's messy and destroys the feel of the leather. any suggestions?

i've been using Ray Holes Saddle Butter, but it's a little inconsistent.

i'm producing my first order of belts, hand dyed and tooled, and i want to be sure the dye on the inside doesn't bleed into the customers' clothing<<<snip>>>

How about not dyeing the inside?

Bob Stelmack

How about not dyeing the inside?

Bob Stelmack

thanks for reponding, Bob.

the samples that the orders were placed from were dyed on the inside, and they must match the samples.

plus, i think it looks unfinished.

Hi Wes,

If you are talking Black, then it is better to have your liner material drum dyed at the tannery. On other colors, after dyeing and the piece is perfectly dry, buff off the residual dyestuff. I use a 1HP Baldor buffer with a 10" loose wheel. My buffer runs 3600rpm which you have to go lightly with. I use the big buffer because that is what I have, something smaller (especially for the inexperienced) would probably be better. The object here is to get all that excess OFF the leather, if you get a little carried away, you can do the dye job over. I finish it off with Bag-Kote. I even hit drum dyed with the buffer lightly just to catch any leftovers. I edge finish with an acrylic like edge coat, which is very colorfast and non-crocking when dry.

Art

i'm producing my first order of belts, hand dyed and tooled, and i want to be sure the dye on the inside doesn't bleed into the customers' clothing. i don't want to use an acrylic sealant because it's messy and destroys the feel of the leather. any suggestions?

i've been using Ray Holes Saddle Butter, but it's a little inconsistent.