calanneh

leather covered box

Hey guys!

I am making a leather covered box and wanted to get a lil insight from the collective mind before I put knife to leather......

I plan to take a cigar box and cover it with two pieces of leather:

One piece will cover the front and sides. I plan to have it glued to the inside of the box sides, wrap over the top edges and under to meet and cover the bottom. The top edges will have gouges ont he inside to help it fold over better. I will be stitching the inside corners together and have a piece of black suede on the inside bottom.

Another piece will cover the lid and back. I plan cover the lid like you would the cover of a book and use double loop lacing on the outside edges, downt he back edges to attach to the side pieces and along the back bottom to attach to the leather on bottom.

This will probably be a good challenge for me, especially the lacing, but if we don't challenge ourselves, we don't learn.

Any thoughts?

William

If it were me, I'd play around with patterning using posterboard or heavy paper, but when you cut the leather, depending on the weight, allow a little extra to accomodate the thickness. I would actually start at the bottom and bring the side pieces up and over the top, which may be what you meant in the first place and I'm misreading you.

There may be an issue with the box closing due to the added thickness. What might work is detaching the lid, using it as a stiffener, and the leather tab on the back will act as the hinge.

Hope that helps -- can't wait to see it!

Ive been thinking of doing a box here pretty soon, little different then the cigar holder but same principle.

The only suggestion I can make is check out the Al stohlman books on case making, they are a 3 volume set. A little pricey but well worth it. I have the first one and plan on getting the other two when I get paid. These things will give you all kinds of ideas on how to get the project together even if alot of his stuff is outdated its still the principle that counts.

Great idea on detaching the lid Tasha... I have been thinking about the closing issue but wasnt sure what I wanted to do yet. I think I will do as you suggested on that topic.

On the bottom up or sides down... I was thinking of starting on the inside and working over the edges and then down. That way I can make sure the pieces on the inside make it all the way to the inside bottom edges and IF somehting does happen and it comes up a lil short, it will be on bottom and I can cut a pattern and inlay a piece on bottom to make it look like it is on purpose...lol.

What are your thought for going bottom up??

I have books 1 & 3 Max! They are great books! I am going to chase the 'leather covered box' idea and if it doesnt work right I will make one from heavier hide without the box inside.

Keep the ideas coming!!! The more the merrier!!!!

William

I have books 1 & 3 Max! They are great books! I am going to chase the 'leather covered box' idea and if it doesnt work right I will make one from heavier hide without the box inside.

Keep the ideas coming!!! The more the merrier!!!!

William

Hi William.

I too, am planning a covered box of sorts at some time in the future (after the 100 other projects I want to try). If you don't have book #2, then you're missing the best one! It goes into fine detail, the method of constructing a leather covered box (they demonstrate a attache case and a hard pistol case). It will give you so many ideas your head will spin.

If I were you, I'd get the book, and then decide on the best way to cover that cigar box.

Have fun and please post pictures when you're finished!

Hilly

Great idea on detaching the lid Tasha... I have been thinking about the closing issue but wasnt sure what I wanted to do yet. I think I will do as you suggested on that topic.

On the bottom up or sides down... I was thinking of starting on the inside and working over the edges and then down. That way I can make sure the pieces on the inside make it all the way to the inside bottom edges and IF somehting does happen and it comes up a lil short, it will be on bottom and I can cut a pattern and inlay a piece on bottom to make it look like it is on purpose...lol.

[snip]

William

That's what the patterning is for, and why I recommended you cut it a little larger. If you cut the side tabs too long, you can always trim them down. I suggested going bottom up because otherwise you have several long seams to sew, and the possibility of doing a lot of patchwork on the bottom. If you go bottom up, you only have to sew two short seams on the front corners, and then one long seam on the back where you attach the tab from the cover.

I suggested going bottom up because otherwise you have several long seams to sew, and the possibility of doing a lot of patchwork on the bottom. If you go bottom up, you only have to sew two short seams on the front corners, and then one long seam on the back where you attach the tab from the cover.

And that's why I ask the collective..hehehe

VERY good point I had not thought of so far. So basically use one large piece to cover the bottom and three short tabs to wrap over.....

Thanks Tasha!!!!

And yes Hilly, I plan to be buying book #2 tomorrow...hehehe

Keep it coming if yall have any more ideas!!

Thanks everybody!!

William

And that's why I ask the collective..hehehe

VERY good point I had not thought of so far. So basically use one large piece to cover the bottom and three short tabs to wrap over.....

Thanks Tasha!!!!

And yes Hilly, I plan to be buying book #2 tomorrow...hehehe

Keep it coming if yall have any more ideas!!

Thanks everybody!!

William

Right, and you can cut the bottom and sides all as one piece. Folding over the top of the side may be problematic, but I bet if you wet it and clamp it gently it'll work well.

Play with the posterboard, though. If you score it lightly with a utility knife, it'll bend nicely.