Danzedd

Where Can I Get One Of These From?

hi. Am new to this forum and need some help trying a heat iron with a flat tip to burn the edge of the leather.. The one ive seen has a wooden handle.

I don't know what it's called but I have a picture of it but can't upload it on here..

I hope someone can help as I'm going crazy try to find this iron..

Hi Danzedd, I think the tool you are looking for is called a burnishing iron, the only ones I have seen look like a file but are smooth instead of grooved, you heat the tool then rub the edges of the leather with it to make them smooth & shiny. There were a couple in the tool rack when I was at college but I dont think I ever saw anyone use them. Hope I have been of some use, all the best in your quest to find what you are looking for. Jax :)

I made my own though not like you described it. I still have a handle left to attach. I made it out of a steel bolt that I heated up and squared it with a hammer. I then grinded a groove and polished it up. It would have been harder if not for the help of my friend Clay Miller. I cannot seem to find the photographs that I took of it. Sorry.

Check with Cary Schwarz Custom Saddles, Salmon, ID. He recently had one made in Idaho.