Hopefully someone out there has the knowledge to help me out on this one. I just picked up an old fully engraved Great Western Arms revolver this past week. What came with the gun intrigued me just as much.

There was an old style 50's-60's fast draw holster and belt with the word "Colt" carved on the belt and the holster had the rampant colt carved on it. It fits a SAA with 4 3/4" bbl. While I was cleaning the leather the lexol foamed up on the backside and there were the words "Custom Made By Jeff Brown" carved not stamped into the back of the belt. I would never have seen the lettering if it weren't for the lexol.

Has anyone heard of this maker, history, etc.? I wasn't sure if he made custom leather for Colt at one time, or even if Colt offered anything like that. I've tried googling the info several different ways, but couldn't come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Sorry I cant help ya with any info but would love to see some pictures of the rig and gun if you dont mind posting.

It may help some of the other members as well.

I will be posting pictures of the rig in a day or so. I just cleaned the leather today, re-burnished the edges as much as possible and oiled it. When the oil evens out a bit more then I'll get some posted.

Frank

As promised, here are a few pics of the rig that came with the gun, along with a photo of the gun.

Frank

Colt Rig2.jpg

Colt Rig3.jpg

Colt Rig4.jpg

Great Western.jpg

post-8516-127533390273_thumb.jpg

post-8516-127533393595_thumb.jpg

post-8516-12753339472_thumb.jpg

post-8516-127533396948_thumb.jpg

Looks like a handmade holster that somebody added the Colt name and logo to. The stitching looks like hand sewing not production line, so I doubt Colt offered this as part of their line. Exhibition shooting was pretty popular in those days, and since it's a pretty fancy SAA, I'd have to guess that it's a custom job for an exhibition shooter, not a customized production model.

Nice find on the SAA, it's a beauty.

Thanks for the info. I was guessing as well that the rig was completely hand made but that was the other thing that I put in the first post. I wasn't sure if colt at one time had contracted any custom leather work out to anyone. I didn't think they had a production line of any leather products such as a rig like that.

Both items were a pretty good find. The gun is about a 1958 and I figured the rig was about the same time frame. Somehow they ended up finding each other before I bought them.