fitabull

Newbie Canadian Girl!

Hello Leatherworker community and greetings from Toronto, ON!

I'm very new to the world of leatherwork and looking forward to learn all I can! I opened my own dog collar bizz "Fitabull Industries" in 2010, which caters to large breed dogs specifically. All my dogs are large and I could never find any suitable gear for them - so with my experience in industrial sewing (currently running an old JUKI LU563), I figure I'd just solve the problem by making what I wanted, myself. So, I turned my guest bedroom into a "sweatshop" of sorts and started Fitabull (my poor overnight guests now have to fight my dogs for couch space!)

Until recently, my medium has been just webbing (polyester, nylon, seatbelt) and Ive done quite well, but I'm bored so it's time to broaden my horizons! I've seen some amazing leather dog collars, and figure, why not learn to do them myself as well?!

I recently enrolled myself in a "Leather Fundamentals" class, which I found immensely useful, taught me the basics...cutting, dyeing, skiving, burnishing, use of some basic tools and some hand stitching techniques. I've also had a visit to Tundra Leather - great guy there! ..and had my first hide (veg tan 9-10oz) delivered...in between my regular orders, Ive been working on a few leather collars - they are pretty basic but I'm hoping, as I hone my skills, my collars will go from plain to superfantastical!

Looking forward to picking everyone's brain!!!

Here's a few collars I've done so far...

post-21855-0-74255800-1421954402_thumb.j

post-21855-0-93233500-1421954545_thumb.j

post-21855-0-99881200-1421954560_thumb.j

post-21855-0-60300300-1421954426_thumb.j

Michelle - head honcho @ Fitabull Industries.

Hello and welcome, Michelle.

Don't think you need a lot of assistance as you seem to have it down pat. Beautiful work.

Do you line all of your collars?

The name conchos are a great touch and look very nice.

God Bless.

Ray

Edited by raysouth

Collars look good, welcome to the site.

I was into Tundra last year and he cut exactly what I required, great service.

Nice work and very nice stitching. Look in the tutorals for Hidepounder's how to burnish edges, it will improve the final apperance. Troy

Beautiful work. I agree about the edges. It takes a while to find what process works for you personally with edges, but when you find what works, it makes the end product that much sweeter!

P.S. I'm pretty impressed with the number of Canadians I have found on this forum.

Hello!,

Niagara Falls here, saw your Bully's, lots of memory there, my dad use to breed Bully and Staffs. I get my stuff from from Tundra, those guys are leather gods!

I'm new to the leather game myself, have to say this place has helped me out immensely. Check out the chat room sometime, lots of knowledge hangs out in that room

Welcome to the best site on the internet!

Thanks Ray! I have been lining them so far with really thin pig skin...I like the contrast but I wouldn't mind finding some thicker stuff...and re the conchos, man - are they hard to line up and get straight!

Hi! From Quebec I ´m happy to see another canadian here on this site! Nice work keep feeding us with pictures of your work!!

Chris

Hi! Are you me? Fellow leatherworker gal here, also in Toronto, and also do dog collars (albeit selling online exclusively). Our guest room suffered the same fate as yours!

Let me know if you ever want to get together for coffee and compare notes!

Hello Michelle and welcome to the forum!

Hey Michelle! I'm just up the road a ways from you in the Barrie area..Welcome, and great collars! :)

Welcome here, fittabull!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Yes, I agree about the folks at Tundra. Both Sean and Peter are so generous with their time and are always willing to help with any problems you run into.

Have you checked out the leatherworkers' guild in Toronto? Their members kick out some amazing work.

Edited by Basically Bob

Welcome Michelle, I am quite a ways from you in Calgary. I hope you enjoy this site it is full of great things and people. Stop by the chat room some time. There is usually a bunch in there.

Edited by leatherwytch

Hello and welcome, Michelle.

Don't think you need a lot of assistance as you seem to have it down pat. Beautiful work.

Do you line all of your collars?

The name conchos are a great touch and look very nice.

God Bless.

Ray

Look Ray! I can quote now! :)

Thank you! ...and yes, I do like to line my collars. I think it adds a nice finish BUT I do wish that I could find a thicker pigskin for it. The PS I currently use is very thin.

I do love the look of the conchos - but are they ever hard to line up/space out evenly. Any tricks to make that any easier?

Nice work and very nice stitching. Look in the tutorals for Hidepounder's how to burnish edges, it will improve the final apperance. Troy

Beautiful work. I agree about the edges. It takes a while to find what process works for you personally with edges, but when you find what works, it makes the end product that much sweeter!

P.S. I'm pretty impressed with the number of Canadians I have found on this forum.

Thanks! I have since purchased some Gum Trag to use for burnishing and it makes a huge difference!

Hi! Are you me? Fellow leatherworker gal here, also in Toronto, and also do dog collars (albeit selling online exclusively). Our guest room suffered the same fate as yours!

Let me know if you ever want to get together for coffee and compare notes!

Hi! Sounds like we have a lot in common!

Getting together and comparing notes sounds like a great idea! Although, I'll have way more questions than notes for you! What area of the Tdot are you in? I'm in South Etob...PM me and we can discuss any future meet ups!

Hey Michelle! I'm just up the road a ways from you in the Barrie area..Welcome, and great collars! :)

Thank you! I'm actually from good 'ol Gravenhurst! Nice to meet you!

Welcome here, fittabull!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Yes, I agree about the folks at Tundra. Both Sean and Peter are so generous with their time and are always willing to help with any problems you run into.

Have you checked out the leatherworkers' guild in Toronto? Their members kick out some amazing work.

Hi Bob! I just learned about the Leatherworkers guild from another post on here. Going to check them out. Thanks :)

Welcome Michelle, I am quite a ways from you in Calgary. I hope you enjoy this site it is full of great things and people. Stop by the chat room some time. There is usually a bunch in there.

Thank you! There is so much info on here and I have so many questions, I almost don't even know where to start! :) I will definitely be stopping by the chat room in the near future!