TomBanwell

Smelly masks

I've been sealing my masks to protect them from moisture with Krylon's acrylic Crystal Clear. It works great except for a lingering smell. I've had some complaints from customers about it. Can anyone recommed a different product that won't smell? It needs to be sprayed not brushed. Thanks!

better be glad the leather that you are using is not tanned in Mexico. :rofl:

try sealing the leather with super sheen........use the Preval Sprayer to spray with.

Thanks, Luke. I'm looking at the S-T catalog and I don't see super sheen. I do see satin sheen, resolene and neat-lac. Are any of these similar? Thanks,

Thanks, Luke. I'm looking at the S-T catalog and I don't see super sheen. I do see satin sheen, resolene and neat-lac. Are any of these similar? Thanks,

Hi Tom-

In the Tandy catalog I have it is listed as Eco-Flo Super Shene item no.s 2610-01(4oz),

2610-03(Quart), and 2610-04(Gallon). It says that the Super Shene is high gloss and the Satin Shene is a satin finish.

Crystal

Thanks. I looked in the Tandy catalong and noticed that Fiebings Leather Sheen comes in a spray can. Is that a similar product?

Thanks. I looked in the Tandy catalong and noticed that Fiebings Leather Sheen comes in a spray can. Is that a similar product?

I am not sure about that - haven't tried any.

Yes, Tom, it is similar (perhaps the same thing formulated for spraying- Fiebings makes a lot of Tandy's products). I use it instead of the supershene on top of the water based eco flo products- otherwise. the supershene will cause the eco flo stuff to run and/or splotch unless sprayed. Standard supershene will clog sprayers & airbrushes if one tries to spray it on full strength- so if I gotta use a water based finish over a waterbased dye or antique, I'll use the fiebings spray.

russ

Tom, this is my own personal opinion, but I can't stand *sheen, so I use wax finishes, and get very nice, natural-looking results. I have been using Bee Natural in my sprayer, but recently made a great find - Trewax Liquid Carnauba Wax, made for floors, but works great on leather. The Trewax is much less expensive than the Bee Natural, but gives exactly the same results, and I can use my sprayer to apply it. Creates a soft, satiny finish, very water resistant, and no unpleasant odors. The only place I would not recommend it is on pieces that will be exposed to a lot of heat.

Kate

Hey. I admit- I don't really like Krylon products for any leather that isn't just going to sit on a shelf and look pretty. Krylon spray paints and finishes are great for things like ceramics and models, but on leather, these products dry and crack the leather in time. When my masks are done I have used: - turtle wax- atom wax- brushable polyeyrothane -satin sheene (and related products) All of then *can* be used in a spraygun. I do not use these products on the *inside* of a mask. Ever.

sunempsmall.JPG

post-6993-1215488979_thumb.jpg