LTC

Trucker Wallet Exterior Design Questions

ok well I am getting ready to make a "trucker" type wallet. I have a few ideas for the exterior design, but can't decide whether to make the design span the entire wallet or whether to have smaller elements on each half of the wallet. I can't decide because if I use a design that goes across the whole wallet it won't look right unless the wallet is opened up completely flat. I don't think that would happen very often, so want it to look great when folded.

not sure if I'm the only one that's thought about this but I couldn't find any threads about it before. maybe I am not searching correctly. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

I've thought of the same thing man. You also have to imagine that any tooling along the spine (for lack of a better term) will be distorted not only from the folding action, but from extra wear from being on that edge.

I think you could create a design that spans both halves while still remaining interesting on both sides, if you try your hardest!

I think you may have more confidence in me than I do. :) Thanks for your comments.

I would recommend againts a design where you have to carve across the fold on the wallet. The grain of the leather is the strongest part and if you cut through it with a swivel knife you are weaking the leather at that point. All the flexing across that fold will open up the cut and probably reduce the lifetime of the leather. At least that is what I was taught. Also, your right that when you fold it you are going to loose a lot of the definition in your carving.

Bob

Me personally I think it depends on the design. I have a version of a trucker wallet that I made and I decided to do a mirror image of a design on the wallet with a horse shoe in the middle. I have been sitting on this thing and using it for about six months now. And the tooling is holding up in the middle and shows no sign of the leather wearing out where i have made the cut and the tooling.

I'm also working on a Sailor Jerry theme wallet now with a ship and a rose. All the detail would have been in the center of the wallet so when it was folded over it would look bad. That one I decided to Put the ship on one side then the words "homeward bound" on the other.

That is just my .02 cents

whole wallet.jpg

wallet side 1.jpg

wallet side 2.jpg

homeward bound leath.jpg

post-26740-0-02989700-1394228349_thumb.j

post-26740-0-24618300-1394228359_thumb.j

post-26740-0-66442200-1394228369_thumb.j

post-26740-0-60889800-1394228504_thumb.j

Not real excited to show my work here...i struggled with your question- this is what I came up with. the design is "lost" when folded...so, my next one will have a design on each side with some sort of tooling to tie it all together.

duh- photo wasn't attached properly.post-39107-0-89187900-1394254023_thumb.j

I've done them both ways. I actually prefer one design that covers both sides. I think a lot of it depends on how much tooling you'll be doing and the weight of the leather. I try to limit the tooling over the spine if I can, but don't think it's a huge deal. I typically use 8oz for the outside. It might weaken the leather some, but it's not like it's load bearing...its a wallet. The pictures below are of the last one I did (I got to play with my new airbrush)

IMG 1944[1]

IMG 1952[1]

IMG 1946[1]