shtoink

Ability To Be Able To Edit Posts

I know that there is currently a short window of time to be able to go back and edit a post you made, but it would really be nice to have that window of time made longer. I will do my best to explain why I think this would be a good idea. I had quite a few reasons, but most seemed kind of trivial, so I boiled it down to these three. I have no doubt that others might find some very compelling reasons that had not occurred to me.

First Reason: Say you come back the next day and found spelling or grammar errors you want to clear up. Maybe you wanted to alter a certain passage in your post some way to better convey your original idea. I've personally had this happen and find it frustrating.

Second Reason: Maybe you had some steps to a tutorial you provided and found that, for some reason, these steps were in error or needed some slight modification. It'd be a lot less confusing to alter the original post than to add one with the desired information further down the thread.

Third Reason: This might be the biggest reason. Lets say that you made a tutorial or some other post that was image heavy and something happened that made those links not work anymore. Maybe you needed to move your images to another provider or switched domains, whatever the reason, your links no longer work for the original post. This makes that post useless unless you can go back and edit it. It'd save a lot of work and you wouldn't need to clutter up the thread with a duplicate post further into the thread.

I think what this boils down to is that the window for the edit option should be open indefinitely for the original poster. It may not be needed in plenty of cases, but the option to go back and perform any necessary house keeping is very convenient. Fixing silly grammar and spelling mistakes or even the links to images in and old thread that was stickied long ago makes for less clutter overall. At least, that's my theory on it.

On a side note, it'd be very nice to be able to delete a thread that you may have written that is now pointless and adds no useful content to the forum.

You have very good reasoning Shtoink! It would be great to edit and delete sometimes.

Allowing editing after a short time (and hence deleting) may cause the thread of the topic to be broken. Folks would be replying to posts that don't exist. It's that simple.

Art

I wasn't thinking that full control over post deletion should be given to a general member. What I had in mind was the ability to delete a post for a short window of time, if it did not have any posts following it, or if it was something like an accidental duplicate post.

As far as editing old posts, it'd be good housekeeping. I see plenty of sullied up threads because image links no longer work and they have to be added in further down the line. It gets pretty ugly and makes for a difficult read. Not to mention, it's not clear what people are quoting about with earlier posts being broken.

Maybe the image cleanup and such should be left up to a moderator and there could be one mod per section or something. Bottom line, limiting the general members from altering old posts has brought about its own problems.

I just did some digging around in the forum over at IP.Board and it appears that there aren't the opens for control over deletion that I had thought there would be. I know it exists in other PHP driven forum packages. I saw a few posts with questions similar to what I had in mind, but there hasn't been anything implemented like that, as of yet. The closest thing I saw reference to, was something called "Hide" which acted as a soft delete and required moderator interaction beyond that point. It wasn't clear if it was forum wide or not, as the discussions went into greater detail than I could follow without having an actual moderator control panel in front of me.

Art, I do see your point and agree to a certain extent, but we aren't all delete crazy people here. Maybe the option for that "middle ground" of control for us general members will eventually show up and the way the forum handles post deletion will evolve, who knows. Either way, I still like the idea of being able to fix grammar and spelling, reword, add/alter image links, and similar non-destructive edits to my posts.

I am with you on this shtoink!!

personaly, what hapend to me is this third scenario where links of photos dont work any more and now there I have 3 pages of posts with no pics of progres of some work and so... very frustrating to say the least... so now we have peoples replyes to empty pages, so much for the broken topics...

can we work this out somehow????

anybody???

thanx

Silk

is it possible that nobody replyed at all? admins, where are you??

Correct- we mods have a "soft delete" or "hide" function. When a suspicious or controversial post appears, we "invisible" it and discuss it in the staff room. If you see a post that requires attention, please click the "report to a moderator" button and let us know. Thank you!

so what youre sayin is that you didn't read what we wrote and you didn't get what we need and blah blah blah soft delete hahahahah

u kill me!

lets make it simple...

Can you in any way make it possible for us to repair the missing links of photos in our topics?

Thanx!

Silk

How about something even more basic. I run Windows Vista. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything. Only about 1/2 of the posts I post get posted. On the rest, when I get done and click post it shows the progress bar flashing and it reads saving post but takes forever and still doesn't post. I have minimized one and left to do other thinks. When I came back 3 hrs later it was as when I left, still flashing and not yet posted. And they are not long and detailed. 2 or 3 sentences