deloid

Randall 10" Chase Pattern Splitter

I'm looking at a Randall 10" Chase Pattern Splitter that seems to be in good condition. What should I look for as far as deal killers (where do these tend to crack)? The fellow want me to make an offer...whats an average selling price this splitter (good to average condition)?

Thanks for any guidance-

I'm looking at a Randall 10" Chase Pattern Splitter that seems to be in good condition. What should I look for as far as deal killers (where do these tend to crack)? The fellow want me to make an offer...whats an average selling price this splitter (good to average condition)?

Thanks for any guidance-

The frame can be cracked in several places. The legs are most common probably. Another place is on either side in the middle. Also the cradle for the bottom roller can break off underneath. Final place to look would be to make sure the top assembly is soldi to the frame. One tooth broken off the adjusting knobs is not a deal killer, but two adjacent ones is getting pretty iffy. Plenty of blade left is a plus. Make sure all the screws move. Especially check the screws holding down the blade. Make sure the top roller moves the entire range of the adjustment. I had one that the connecting rod between the two knobs was slightly bent. One knob was out of true and got a bind in it as the roller came up.

Average selling price depends on condition. The range is probably from $300 to $500 for a good 10" one most days between informed sellers and buyers. As-found ones - I've seen them from $100 up, but mostly they are over $200. Once in a while you find a bargain.