Apparently, cutting patterns for firearms are worth their weight in gold (?). How many times have we seen in the forums, someone asks about a pattern and is told - why not make yer own??? Trace a line. Buy a book. Whatever.

So, wondering how widespread this is, I typed "holster pattern" over at Ebay. YIKES! Somebody selling Ghormley's patterns for $36 (plus shipping). PEOPLE - these are currently available from Tandy for $7.95! Or, if you have the gun, you can likely come up with your own in 15 minutes.

Oh, one more 'tip' since I'm on about things ... from a holster standpoint, there is NO difference between the Glock 17 and the Glock 19. Using a micrometer, these are identical in the slide, ejection port position, trigger and guard, backstrap, etc. The differences in these models is 1/2" in barrel length (the 19 is shorter) and the length of the grip (again, 19 is shorter). Mold a gun with the 17, and the 19 will snap right in (though it will set back in 1/2" on the business end).

Now, I'd like to have a spot where I just throw tips ever-so-of'n, but maybe the trendy thing to do is to charge a subscription price, or a pay-as-you-go download thingery. Nah.. seems like a bit of trouble, all that...

Oh, and I don't know who said it around here, but it was a good idea. When doing your own, make it first out of corrugated cardboard. This will simulate the leather thickness, and maybe point out any glaring problems before cutting the leather. I hadn't thought of that, but +1 to whoever said that ... that's actually a pretty good idea.

Edited by JLSleather

I just eat pizza and make my wife do all the work, then sit back and take credit for it. Its worked thus far.

JLS, the problem with a continuing thread is opening it up after a couple of days. Lots of stuff that may or may not matter. I agree that such a spot would help those of us who are not cognizant (I would say ignorant but people don't like that one. They accept cognizant) of the subject.

I had made a pattern the other day and was cutting the pattern out of the poster board and got sloppy. I reprimanded myself and told myself that the sloppiness transfers to the leather and the product. And the same applies to cutting the leather. Follow the lines.

$36.00 dollars huh? Didn't know you could buy anything from Tandy's and sell it for a profit.

JLS, the problem with a continuing thread is opening it up after a couple of days. Lots of stuff that may or may not matter. I agree that such a spot would help those of us who are not cognizant (I would say ignorant but people don't like that one. They accept cognizant) of the subject.

I had made a pattern the other day and was cutting the pattern out of the poster board and got sloppy. I reprimanded myself and told myself that the sloppiness transfers to the leather and the product. And the same applies to cutting the leather. Follow the lines.

$36.00 dollars huh? Didn't know you could buy anything from Tandy's and sell it for a profit.

Yep, see it all the time. People over there at Ebay actually pay MORE than you can just walk in the store and buy what you want. Not just once - all the time. Whatever.. warn 'em, and if'n they do it anyway so be it. It LOOKS like some folks like the BIDDIN' more than they care about the price. Fair enough.. what a fella does with his own money.

Actually, I wasn't talkin about an ongoing forum thread - I just wonderin' out loud why these cutting patterns are so guarded (or that is sometimes my perception). Not takin' it OVERly perrsonal, cuz my kindegarten teacher showed my how to hold the pencil myself :) Much of the remainder of the post was just my own sarcasm -- I'm really not petty enough to charge money for some lines I drew on a piece of paper tracin' around a gun.

Oh, did you try out the leather from RJF just yet? I ordered some, but waitin' ...

Yep, see it all the time. People over there at Ebay actually pay MORE than you can just walk in the store and buy what you want. Not just once - all the time. Whatever.. warn 'em, and if'n they do it anyway so be it. It LOOKS like some folks like the BIDDIN' more than they care about the price. Fair enough.. what a fella does with his own money.

Actually, I wasn't talkin about an ongoing forum thread - I just wonderin' out loud why these cutting patterns are so guarded (or that is sometimes my perception). Not takin' it OVERly perrsonal, cuz my kindegarten teacher showed my how to hold the pencil myself :) Much of the remainder of the post was just my own sarcasm -- I'm really not petty enough to charge money for some lines I drew on a piece of paper tracin' around a gun.

Oh, did you try out the leather from RJF just yet? I ordered some, but waitin' ...

Do you happen to know the pricing of single bend veg and european bridle? Still waiting for a response from RJF.

JLS, yes I got the leather. As a somewhat novice on grading leather, I can say it looks really good. And it is supple rather than stiff as others have noted. The color is super consistent being a very light tan. Very little belly or neck waves. I cut out an 8-9 and a 4-5 for two holsters today and they are drying from a bath of NF oil. Tomorrow I will shoot the liner with Saddle Tan and hope they look good.

I think the leather is very good and I will probably order from Roger again. He said I would like the leather and he is correct. I will report later on how the sewing and edge finish goes. This project is important as the product goes to a shooter in Idaho.

"Still waiting for a response from RJF."

Been more than one day? Call him back. I believe he is a one man operation but I like dealing with the man.

only been a day, tomorrow morning il bet a message will come. Figured someone here would know

Of course it's a lot easier to get the gun in question to make your own patterns in the US. Over here, you have to have a firearms licence even for airsoft and handguns are not allowed off the range. I get asked for a holster here, it's guess, hope and ask.

I prefer to have the skill of developing my own rather than using someone else's. And if you look around enough that info is out there. And in reality, once you figure it out it transfers easily to other guns. And the way I do mine makes it even simpler. I guess the way I do it would likely drive a lot of folks nuts. But it works for me.

JLS, yes I got the leather. ...I think the leather is very good and I will probably order from Roger again. He said I would like the leather and he is correct. .... I like dealing with the man.

I'd say that's a pretty good review! Thanks for the info.

I prefer to have the skill of developing my own rather than using someone else's. And if you look around enough that info is out there. And in reality, once you figure it out it transfers easily to other guns. And the way I do mine makes it even simpler. I guess the way I do it would likely drive a lot of folks nuts. But it works for me.

Exactly my point -- easy is good. Easier is better. Don't even matter if a fella's method is "weird", long as you end up with a solid holster that does its job and looks good doing it.

Of course it's a lot easier to get the gun in question to make your own patterns in the US. Over here, you have to have a firearms licence even for airsoft and handguns are not allowed off the range. I get asked for a holster here, it's guess, hope and ask.

Yes, we have more access to handguns here. This is my point, actually. You'd think that information about specific models would be available everywhere. You might think you could skip some of the "guessing" and "hoping" by more 'asking", but there seems to be more desire to sell you another pattern than just tell you the dimensions of that model. "Blue guns" are popular around here too - we have some our self. But if a fella had the dimensions of the firearm, then the gun, the blue gun, and the 'pattern' are all unnecessary, at least until you're ready to form it.

I was in Alaska after the Valdez oil cleanup. The company was holding an auction in anchorage to dispose of the stuff it aquired for the job. It was suppose to be a little payback for the citizens of the fiftieth state. But, contractor from the lower forty eight were there driving the prices through the roof everything I was interested in went well over what I could go to a store and buy new. At that time things ran more in ak. I think anytime an auction gathers more than pro bidders look out the prices are going to be high.

Blackey, it is good to see another "registered" cowboy over here.

I am afraid I have missed your point in your last post.

Same issue with folks making guitars and router templates. Folks were willing to accept the responsibility of making a guitar, but making a router template scared them to death. I use to tell folks that making the router templates was outstanding practice for making the actual guitar, and if you screwed up, it was a piece of mdf or hardboard worth a few dollars, not expensive guitar wood.

..., and if you screwed up, it was a piece of mdf or hardboard worth a few dollars, not expensive guitar wood.

Exactly. Piece of paper is what,... 3 fer a penny ?

Plus, piece of paper might jus be 'nough to cause you to see a stupid mistake about to happen. Well, I mean me -- surely none of YOU would do that :)