Roger

couple tool bags

man i really feel like i'm spinning my wheels everytime i have to make bags. they take me nearly as long as a seat!

one of these i have been putting off since march. anyhow.. glad they are done as the seat work is piling up again!

DSC04213.jpg

DSC04212.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

DSC04196.jpg

DSC04195.jpg

DSC04194.jpg

great looking bag. love the color and tooling. i made a bike tool bag once similar to this...the first and last...the amount of work for the price that it sold for wasnt worth the effort. unfortunately the market is flooded with cheap imports, especially on ebay. they will find out that the cheap ones dont last long, one day they will be riding along and find all their tools all over the road...ha ha to them!!

Those look really great.

How much do you guys usually get for these guys anyways.

great looking bag. love the color and tooling. i made a bike tool bag once similar to this...the first and last...the amount of work for the price that it sold for wasnt worth the effort. unfortunately the market is flooded with cheap imports, especially on ebay. they will find out that the cheap ones dont last long, one day they will be riding along and find all their tools all over the road...ha ha to them!!

much of my work is going on high end bikes and they want something custom so, they want my work over the $20 bag.

they really are way too much work for what i charge and i generally only do them along with a seat or between seats when i have nothing else to do. my lined bags take me a good ten hours to complete

Those look really great.

How much do you guys usually get for these guys anyways.

thanks!!

i don't get near enough and put them off quite often. this brown bag has been on my waiting list since the end of march :wacko:

very nice job on those roger!!...i look at things this way with products and price...some folk are just fine with a toyota corolla...but there are always those that want the lexus...if its a quality product and made well etc...there a market regardless what price range it may falls into...just my rational with it...

its funny cuz i was at fleet farm today...and came across the sissy bar bags like that...garbage man...pure garbage...the crap didn't even feel like leather on the outside...like poly coatin or something...the leather, buckles and stitching etc...pure crapola...simply can't compare to the real handmade deal...i think the comparison would be a rust bucket with mismatched tires vs a lexus lol

darryl

as usual as always. never fails to amaze all of us here. the consistency in workmanship and tightness on details just raises again and again the bar higher and higher. i am always delirious after seeing a posted work from this guy! nice work beez! keep it up and get our creative juices flowing.

ritch

very nice job on those roger!!...i look at things this way with products and price...some folk are just fine with a toyota corolla...but there are always those that want the lexus...if its a quality product and made well etc...there a market regardless what price range it may falls into...just my rational with it...

its funny cuz i was at fleet farm today...and came across the sissy bar bags like that...garbage man...pure garbage...the crap didn't even feel like leather on the outside...like poly coatin or something...the leather, buckles and stitching etc...pure crapola...simply can't compare to the real handmade deal...i think the comparison would be a rust bucket with mismatched tires vs a lexus lol

darryl

thanks darryl! very well said!

as usual as always. never fails to amaze all of us here. the consistency in workmanship and tightness on details just raises again and again the bar higher and higher. i am always delirious after seeing a posted work from this guy! nice work beez! keep it up and get our creative juices flowing.

ritch

thanks ritch!

i try to improve something every time i start another project.

these bags are not much fun to produce but i an generally happy with the finished product

I love that finish. Well I love the whole thing. As always your work has inspired me. A guy wants a bag made and I was wondering about the size of the bag and weighs of leather. Again thanks for the inspiration.

Tom

thanks tom!weights vary but i go heavier than most. the body is 10-12oz with 5-6oz gussets. they are also lined with 2-3oz and reinforced in a couple key areas to help the bag keep shapemy standard bag is 11" wide

thanks tom!weights vary but i go heavier than most. the body is 10-12oz with 5-6oz gussets. they are also lined with 2-3oz and reinforced in a couple key areas to help the bag keep shapemy standard bag is 11" wide

Thanks Roger. I'll post some pics of it when I get it done. Right night now I need to draw up some kinda batty looking things. And again I love that fade and speckle on your tool bag.

Tom

Great work as always Roger!!! What kind of paint did you use on the black one and how do you keep the paint from cracking if the leather is bent allot, which appears might happen on a flap?

What is the braiding technique you are using on the ends? I'm a newbie, and I would like to learn to do that. Did you sew the sides on as well or just do the braiding?

Thanks,

Dan

Great work as always Roger!!! What kind of paint did you use on the black one and how do you keep the paint from cracking if the leather is bent allot, which appears might happen on a flap?

thanks brad!! i use cova colors and have never had a cracking problem. i go thin with the paint. also... the flesh tone is natural leather. there is no paint in the bends

What is the braiding technique you are using on the ends? I'm a newbie, and I would like to learn to do that. Did you sew the sides on as well or just do the braiding?

Thanks,

Dan

dan, the ends are laced using a double loop stitch. get a lacing book. it will show you how to do all the basic patterns.

the rest of the bag is sewn because it's lined

thanks brad!! i use cova colors and have never had a cracking problem. i go thin with the paint. also... the flesh tone is natural leather. there is no paint in the bends

dan, the ends are laced using a double loop stitch. get a lacing book. it will show you how to do all the basic patterns.

the rest of the bag is sewn because it's lined

Thanks! I ordered a braiding book last week called "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant. I had found a copy at the library, and there were lots of interesting braids in it so I ordered a used copy (it's been out of print for a long time). The only downside of the book is that it is illustrated, so the braids look different in photographs than they do in the drawings in the book. This makes it harder to identify what the braids are.

Anyway that is probably more info than you wanted. Thanks again.

Dan

no problem!

this is the book i have. very simple and easy to understand. tandy carries it.

61906-00-L.JPG

Great looking bags. Really nice.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: