hey guys and gals im trtying to layout the holes for a tool rack and having a tuff time can some one that has made a rack give me a layout pattern it would be very help full

Thank you

Cowboy316

I don't believe you'll find any legally mandated layout...lol

It really comes down to what tools you want to put in it, how many, what types...etc

I'm a fairly primitive kind of guy. Tools and their holders are just that, tools. I lop off some 3x3/4x4 stock, and drill the sizes necessary. 1/4" first row 1/2" second row, 5/8" top row. I even use 1" sometimes to put a series of stamps in, like say, all small checkered bevelers, or for some swivels.

Of course, that works well if you just need some 8" size blocks. If tyou want to make one big block for all your tools, then you need to layout all your tools on the table, the way you want to reach for them, and plan out the holes. You don't have to make them all linear. You could put some in one distinct section, even in a circular pattern. Different sections with a half inch space or so between them, could be easy for the eye to pick tools.

Run a search (top right hand corner) under "tool rack." Someone just posted an awesome tool rack made out of a 4x4 & 2x4.

Depending upon what you want here are a couple of posts..... below.

A Modification of Verlane and Dale Tool Rack

Tool Rack Progression

I have also included an older design that has a layout for single holes. I would make the angle from the side steeper looking back on it. See below.

Leather_Tool_Rack.pdf

Hopefully it will give you some ideas for making your own to "fit" your situation.

Regards,

Ben

Leather_Tool_Rack.pdf

thanks guys for all the help i got a good idea of what im gonna do know ill be posting pics of the rack when i get it done in the next few days

Cowboy316

I missed this post first time around. I like holes where I can group tools together like Ben shows in his design. I'm curious to know what you came up with also!

Bobby

I know this is an older post but I found the idea for a tool rack on a site (can't remember what one). I made one and it works great. You need a wooden knife block, if you don't have one check thrift shops and yard sales (I paid $2 for one). I drew a pattern of where I wanted my tools located on paper and then taped it to the top (flat side) of the block. Then took a drill with a wood bit and drilled the holes. Just make sure you use the right size bit for the size of the tool and leave a little spacing for stability. I hope this helps. If someone wants I will post a picture of mine as an example.

I had an old case that started out as an electricians or electrical specialty tool case I'm gonna make up a several boards that will have pouches for my tools and stack them in it much like the two that came with the case. It lockable, metal thick briefcase type about twice as thick as a regular briefcase and maybe a little less on the other two dimensions. I let you know how it comes out. Still in design stages as I just remembered the combo for the lock. I might have the panels fold over so when removed they can stand up or lay down instead of individual panels.