carr52

Celtic Cross Seat

This is aseat I decided to try my hand at. Never done one before so all the criticisim I can get will help. Good, bad, indifferent. It all works. I'm using a 4 to 5 oz. leather. Its got a big 72 branded on the side of it but I figured it would work ok for a practice peice. Thinking os staining it with a dark edge to light center. Oh yeah, and I got the padding from Wally-World "AKA" Wal-Mart. Camping mat $6.00. It's not going to fit anything it's just a pan that a guy made for me to use as a practice form. So let me have it.

Tom

IMG_0021.JPGIMG_0020.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0018.JPG

post-6291-1225313745_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225313772_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225313800_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225313827_thumb.jpg

Practice piece or not...I think it is great!!!

Good Job!

William

I wish I had me a practice form for doing some seats.....

I like your work and hope we see more of it

The only thing I'd suggest on this particular design is to move the top closer to the back. It seems a bit too close to the bottom for my taste.

Nice practice piece. Now just attach it to a stool with a broken seat and you're good to go.

The only thing I'd suggest on this particular design is to move the top closer to the back. It seems a bit too close to the bottom for my taste.

I see what ya mean. The center of the cross would look better if it up toward the bend in the seat. It's not attached to the pan. It's just laced on with paracord to streach it around the pan. Another thing I just saw is that the leather shows the cuts in the padding shape if they arn't smooth. Thank you. Learning is my goal.

Tom

Nice looking practice piece for sure! Nice tooling... I might suggest using a rubber mallet wrapped in an old t-shirt to tamp the edges and round parts nice and even... just a suggestion ... :)

Keep up the great work!

Nice looking practice piece for sure! Nice tooling... I might suggest using a rubber mallet wrapped in an old t-shirt to tamp the edges and round parts nice and even... just a suggestion ... :)

Keep up the great work!

I dont have a rubber mallet but you can bet your swivel knife I will have one tomorrow. Thanks. I do want it to be smooth looking.

Tom

This is aseat I decided to try my hand at. Never done one before so all the criticisim I can get will help. Good, bad, indifferent. It all works. I'm using a 4 to 5 oz. leather. Its got a big 72 branded on the side of it but I figured it would work ok for a practice peice. Thinking os staining it with a dark edge to light center. Oh yeah, and I got the padding from Wally-World "AKA" Wal-Mart. Camping mat $6.00. It's not going to fit anything it's just a pan that a guy made for me to use as a practice form. So let me have it.

Tom

IMG_0021.JPGIMG_0020.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0018.JPG

Here it is with a little color added. I had to go with something dark to try and cover up the brand on the left side.

Tom

IMG_0026.JPGIMG_0027.JPG

post-6291-1225455893_thumb.jpg

post-6291-1225455931_thumb.jpg

Cool Looking Seat !

Great job !

What color did you use?

THAT Looks VERY KEWL! I love the color combination.... Keep up the good work ....

Looks great. Good colors. I use Wally's camping mat also. You can use 180 or so grit sand paper to shape the edges by hand to get a more rounded look, and it hides seams better too. A word of caution, youll end up with blue powder all over you.

Keep up the good work.

Cool Looking Seat !Great job !What color did you use?
Thank you for the comments. Encouragement means alot to a beginer like me. I've been at this about 7 months now and I am really loving it. As for the colors, I used Cova Color "metalic Si;ver" on the cross and ring. I just blocked out the edges with super sheen then stained it with an antique brown stain and wiped it off right away.Tom
Looks great. Good colors. I use Wally's camping mat also. You can use 180 or so grit sand paper to shape the edges by hand to get a more rounded look, and it hides seams better too. A word of caution, youll end up with blue powder all over you.Keep up the good work.
I'm going to take this one apart so I can sand the edges of the foam. It was just a practice run anyway. Thank you for the tip.Tom

That color job is excellent!

That color job is excellent!

Thank you Wildrose. I wasnt sure what colors to use on it. The silver just sorta struck me as something I'd seen somewhere before and liked so I thought I'd give it a try. Thank you again.

Tom

Very good looking practice piece Tom!

I really like the silver inlay to the cross and the natural on the contours. Silver dye is great to work with (looks to me like that you have used silverdye).

Tom

Very good looking practice piece Tom!

I really like the silver inlay to the cross and the natural on the contours. Silver dye is great to work with (looks to me like that you have used silverdye).

Tom

Howdy From South Carolina

Thank you Tom. It is called Cova Color Metalic Silver Paint. I like the way it brushes on real smooth. Also it water based for easy cleanup. Eco friendly. All that aside, I just like the way it goes on and looks when dry.

Tom

Howdy From South Carolina

Thank you Tom. It is called Cova Color Metalic Silver Paint. I like the way it brushes on real smooth. Also it water based for easy cleanup. Eco friendly. All that aside, I just like the way it goes on and looks when dry.

Tom

Didn't know Cova had a silver paint but then again I haven't used acrylics that much. I get a silver dye from Dansih company ROC wich is magic to paint on due to the silverflakes in it that makes it smooth and cover really well. I guess cova have those flakes to??

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Didn't know Cova had a silver paint but then again I haven't used acrylics that much. I get a silver dye from Dansih company ROC wich is magic to paint on due to the silverflakes in it that makes it smooth and cover really well. I guess cova have those flakes to??

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Hey Tom

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It does have metal flake look to it but no really big silver flakes in it that stand out. I got some gold paint at a craft store that does but havent tried it out yet.

Tom