Sign in to follow this  
CrossBellLeather

Problems With Stamping

Hello,

I have been noticing lately that some of the stuff that I been basketstamping lately seems to be fading after a couple of days. WHY? What am I doing wrong or what can I change that will make it better? Also, I got the Meander Cross set from Tandy a while back and just finished a belt with the medium sized one. I thought that I had done the stamp even and deep but I have noticed the past couple of days that some of the stamps on the belt have faded or aren't as deep as they should be. What did I do wrong? What can I do to change it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You might post a couple pictures so the process of fading can be seen. :thumbsup:

Just to take a guess I would think that you may be stamping while the leather is to wet. Leather stamping impressions will stay best when the leather is properly cased. Unfortunatly that process does take some time spent in a plasic bag then additional time out waiting for the leather to just come back to "original color".

Use the "Search" function and type in "casing leather" there are several threads that explain it better then I can.

Quality of leather can make a difference too.

Rick

Make sure you are case'n your leather good and stamp'n it at the right time.. moister content might be cause'n most of your grief. Also try to be as consistant as possible in every blow on the stamp. I dont know what kind of leather you're stamp'n on either or where you're cut'n out of the hide but that will make a differance too... (if you're stamp'n on cheap leather i would incourage you to get your hands on better quality, you'll imediatly notice the differance in consitancy of color and depth. Not to mention how much better it takes oil and antique) Another thing to consider is your stamp'n table. The more solid it is the better your leather will asorb 100% of the blow. If you dont have a very thick slab of rock on top of a solid build table or counter top, you'll probly have some vibration keepn ya from get'n consistant impressions in the leather.

Hope mabe somethin there helps, just a few cents that have helped me..

God Bless, Jed