Naomi

Metal Plates On Lasts - What To Do About Them?

Hi. This is my first post so please be kind. I have searched the forums and couldn't find what I am looking for. I would like some advice on what to do with the metal plates that are sometimes on lasts? I can't tack through it when lasting shoes. My first pair of lasts I drilled them off but that was a slow and painful process. But I have just brought a few more second hand lasts and they all have metal plates. Is there an easy way to remove them? I have thought about covering the bottom of the last with thick soling leather but am worried this will change the shape of the finished shoe? I just can't find any information on what to do about them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Naomi you can use a heel pry and a hammer to remove the plates. Work the pry under an edge of the plate and tap with the hammer towards the center and pry the plate up as you go. shouldn't take long. Fill the holes with woood pegs and sand the last bottom as you wish.

Frank English

Thanks for the great advice Frank! Never thought to try that. Will give it a go

It would be 1/16 to 1/8 inch you need to build up.  I'd just hammer jack a piece of the right thickness sole bend and do a buildup with contact cement like you would on any other part of the last.  A coat of polyurethane on the bottom might help to waterproof it a bit.  Of course, cementing on a piece of HDPE instead of the sole bend would work also.

Confucius say, "Cat can be skinned many ways......still taste like cat".

Art

I thought the metal plates on lasts were there for a reason.  IIRC, the plates allow you to use clinching nails, which have a very fine tip.  The clinching nails will bend over when they encounter the metal plate (which helps hold the nailed leather down and helps keep the nail from withdrawing).  Additionally, the clinching effect of the nail will keep the nail from working its way into the shoe (ie someone's foot) when in use.

I am not a shoemaker by any means, and I may not be understanding properly what you are experiencing.  I hope it's helpful in any case.