Sign in to follow this  
rlpullman

New Guy

Greetings from Central Idaho Heartland

I have been looking at this site for a few weeks now, and reading old posts. (Some of you guy's crack me up) I am fairly new to doing leather work, and I am really enjoying it. I have a background in Manufacturing, Tooling Design, Sheet Metal Flat Patterns, and Drafting, so I have been developing my own patterns with Cad software and trial and error. I really love the Sheridan Style, but I don't have the hands to do the accent cuts. I had an accident a few years ago with a table saw, and I can't control the knife well enough with my injured hand. I have made a couple of my own stamping tools, and have found a way to make nice looking wild rose leaves. I have been experimenting with dyes and finishes, and I have learned a lot about how leather reacts to different things. I look forward to posting some pictures of my work, and getting some feedback.

Welcome ,There is room for all in this craft . I would like very much to see your work at a future date . Glad to have you here and feel free to jump right in . Bluesman1951

Greetings from Central Idaho Heartland

I have been looking at this site for a few weeks now, and reading old posts. (Some of you guy's crack me up) I am fairly new to doing leather work, and I am really enjoying it. I have a background in Manufacturing, Tooling Design, Sheet Metal Flat Patterns, and Drafting, so I have been developing my own patterns with Cad software and trial and error. I really love the Sheridan Style, but I don't have the hands to do the accent cuts. I had an accident a few years ago with a table saw, and I can't control the knife well enough with my injured hand. I have made a couple of my own stamping tools, and have found a way to make nice looking wild rose leaves. I have been experimenting with dyes and finishes, and I have learned a lot about how leather reacts to different things. I look forward to posting some pictures of my work, and getting some feedback.

You hail with "Greetings from Central Idaho Heartland" yet your username is from across the border? Did somebody let a Coug into Vandal-country? :eusa_naughty:

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

There is a new type of swivel knife that you might be interested in. It's called the Tangleboss, and has the swivel at the blade end of the knife instead of at the yoke end. This might be just the thing for you, as it requires no twisting/turning from your hand - you just hold onto it and pull/push it into the leather. The swiveling blade lets you maintain a constant grip, much the way a pattern cutting knife does. You can see more about it at tanglefoottraders.com. They're a little pricey, but it may allow you to do what a regular knife won't.

Btw, I don't have one, nor am I affiliated with the maker....just passing on info.

Anyway, jump on in with both feet, we'll answer questions you might have, and generally try to help you out where we can.