I got a 1948 mail bag in and it was in need of some restoration. The bag was way too big at 21 inches wide, so I trimmed it down, restored it, replaced thread, and copper rivets. I also replaced the gusset since the original was no longer any good. I think I'll keep but I do wonder what someone would pay for this bag now.

Here are some before and after pictures.

post-29564-070399300 1333934988_thumb.jp

post-29564-074940900 1333934995_thumb.jp

awesome!! I love these old mail bags. They're one of the first bag designs I tried out when I started learning. I'd love to make a replica at some point if I can find the pattern. Might have to check out ebay....

A summer camp I worked at had some mail bags donated to my handicrafts area. Most were pretty well worn out, and had holes, or dry rot. Those got cut up,and the good parts used for projects. I used the good ones for storing paperwork, and other items in my area, and they allowed me to keep one for myself. Hmmm, I may have 2 stashed away, I will have to check.

There's a huge monthly antique fair in the San Francisco area. I was at the last one and there was a dealer there that sold these vintage mailbags as well as new replicas that he made themselves. He was charging $395 for them whether vintage or new. The vintage ones were in a shape similar to your pre-restored one.

Andrew

I just wanted to saw thanks to all the message by reply and pm's for all the compliments about this bag. I am pretty proud of if myself. I am trying to make a name for myself so if you like my work on this bag feel free to click the like button for it. Thank you all again.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=421218237892940&set=a.351799781501453.102320.349767931704638&type=1&theater

I got a 1948 mail bag in and it was in need of some restoration. The bag was way too big at 21 inches wide, so I trimmed it down, restored it, replaced thread, and copper rivets. I also replaced the gusset since the original was no longer any good. I think I'll keep but I do wonder what someone would pay for this bag now.

Here are some before and after pictures.

Not much, because you altered a collectors item...if there is such thing for a mailbag...but the new/old bag looks cool, so keep it, enjoy it and use it too!!

Nice work...

James