timjtodd

New Cutter Saddle

Just finished this saddle today.

Dina Special Cutter 15" seat, 13" swells, 3"x1.5"X13" cantle550 in-skirt rigging.

This was my first in-skirt rigging and I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the information I got from several folks here in the forum. Thanks everyone for all of your input on in-skirt riggings, Cheyenne rolls and how to cover swells without welting.

Tim

IMG_3261.jpg IMG_3269.jpgIMG_3283.jpgIMG_3297.jpg

post-5930-1206832933_thumb.jpg

post-5930-1206833286_thumb.jpg

post-5930-1206833347_thumb.jpg

post-5930-1206833426_thumb.jpg

Edited by timjtodd

Nice looking saddle. You guys that do these are amazing, the things that you must have to do to make one of these just boggles my mind.

That border around the basket weave, is that don with just one tool, if so, which one?

Thanks for posting the pics.

Ken

Tim,

Great job. That is a lot of swell for one piece no welts. I'm sure this was a great experience for you to try those new techniques. Glad our input was helpful to you. Congrats on a job well done.

Keith

Nice job getting those swells one piece. Congrats. I tried to cover some ranch cutter swells in one piece the other day....got one side, and fought with the other side for quite a while. Then went to welts. I am pretty sure it was my selection of where I cut the cover from that caused the problem Live and learn. Congrats again. JW

Thanks you guys.

Ken, the border stamp was done with one tool. It is a craftool #701001 from the Leather Factory.

Keith, it was definitely a learning experience getting to try the new techniques and the in-skirt rig. Don't know that I'll do another one of those, but it sure taught me a lot. I sure appreciate someone with your level of experience taking the time to look and comment as well as offer advice.

JW, I thought I was beat covering the swells on this one as well. I had it down to about an inch of excess and was planning on splitting it in the middle below the horn. About then some folks showed up at my house and I had to take a 2-3 hour break. When I came back I thought the leather was too dry to do anything with and was going to re-wet it. Then I remembered Bruce Johnson having mentioned something along these lines happening to him so I gave it one more try before re-wetting and by-golly I was able to make it work.

Tim,

Great job covering those swells with no welts. That takes some doing for sure. I have chased some of those bubbles around, and some time away seems to either make them behave, or convinces you that welting is gonna be next.

Thanks Bruce. I think the biggest help was something I believe that you and Keith had mentioned and that was to leave the piece thick and not skived down on the edges. So I left her thick and like you guys said, it was able to absorb the excess without having to fold it over. I did get some slight wrinkling, as you can see in the photo, just above the hand hole, but I think if I had re-wet it after I got it tucked it I could have worked those wrinkles out. I'll have to try that next time.

Beautiful Saddle.

I like the simple lines and slick leather.

Congratulations on the nice job.