believe

Rjf Leather

Anyone use RJF leather? How was the veggie and Latigo?

Roger is great to deal with, all his leather is of fine quality. I have used his veg-tan sides, double backs, and double shoulders as well as his latigo.

Rogers leather is expensive 10.50 sq. foot on some of it. Most of it comes from Thoroughbred Leather he has stuff from Spain also. It is nice leather but I can't stand the price.

I've been using his bark tan (which is no more expensive than most others for quality leather - my last order fo shoulders was $5.90 s/ft) for some years now and in over 50 years of leather craft it's some of the finest leather I've worked with and FWIW - this leather comes from Portugal not Spain....excellent leather and excellent service

I'm currently on my first piece of leather from Roger. It's a #1 grade natural full grain double shoulder. I asked him who the tanner was, and he said all of the full grain double shoulders are Thoroughbred leather. I got it in 7/8oz. with the pasted back. When I buy 7/8 oz. Hermann Oak from Springfield it all comes dead even at 8 oz. Roger said his is split pretty much in the middle of the spec, and that turned out to be true, with this piece being right around 7.5 oz. In the future, I'll probably get 8/9 from Roger. I love the pasted back, and it only cost .15 extra. Definitely saves time from burnishing the interior of holsters by hand. I've only made three holsters with it so far, but I'm liking it. It seems to wet mold about like Hermann Oak. I LOVE the smell of it. At the time I ordered it, which was a few months ago, the price was $5.90 a foot for #1 grade and .15 extra for the pasted back. I don't remember what the #2 grade was, but it wasn't much less, certainly not enough to not just get the #1 grade. Be advised he takes payment by check or money order, not by credit card (at least as of a couple months ago.) I definitely see myself buying from him again.

Paul

Excellent service ! quality leather good price and business ethic.

+1 for Roger, I use his double shoulder veg tan 8/9 oz, really nice stuff, clean and a smooth back. Nice guy too. The prices on the veg tan double shoulder I thought were real good, better than the big names.

Edited by J Hayes

I have used RJF for my last 4 or 5 purchases in assorted weights, double shoulders and bends in grade #1 and drum dyed veg tanned. All have been great, at a better price than W&C or SLC and better quality. Send Roger an email or call him and while he doesn't take credit cards, he will mail you an invoice for payment by check.

I have purchased from him only once. his leather is excellent and his customer service is fantastic. He bent over backwards for me when sending some samples he truely went above and beyond. I ended up buying some european bridal leather and drum dyed lether . I should have gotten the drum dyed pasted on the back , I forgot to ask for it. I will definlty use him again when i need leather.

I ordered two double shoulders from roger and they were both really nice. One was drum dyed black and the other is natural. I thought the prices were great snd his communication, service and even shipping cost were great. I will placing my next order with him very soon!

SACL,

You were able to get drum dyed double shoulders? Were the other colors like Havana, Mahogany, and Walnut available as double shoulders as well? About a year or year and a half ago he only had backs that were drum dyed. I'd be super jazzed if he sells drum dyed double shoulders now!

Paul

Colt,

YES! Drum dyed black double shoulder. He also sent me some samples of his bridle. Very nice stuff. Here's a picture of the black shoulders

post-47482-0-85892000-1388172216_thumb.j

Is his bridle leather stamp able? Anyone have a pic?

What does a pasted back look like and what is the purpose?

I believe it is. The back is nice and smooth. Black all thwart through. Stamps and cuts really nice. You can call or email roger for more specifics. He is very I open to questions and replies to all emails. I have a few samples of bridle at home but I am currently out of town. Again, give him a call or shoot him an email.

SACL

Pasted back is very smooth, no fuzzies.

Thanks SACL, very cool!

Believe, I don't know if RJF's bridle is stampable or not, but I do have some sample squares of Wickett and Craig's bridle and I was able to wet it and stamp it.

Paul

Can someone show a picture of a pasted back? How would bridle leather hold up in canine collars? I'm not so keen on the Latigo as the edges cannot be burnished and remain burnished without an edge coat. Picture of the bridle anyone?

Here are some pictures of the samples I received from Roger at RJF. One is Coffee and the other Black. If you contact him, I'm sure he will be more than happy to send you some samples. Awesome guy to do business with.

RJF Bridle 1.JPG

RJF Bridle 2.JPG

RJF Bridle 3.JPG

post-47482-0-44446600-1390760268_thumb.j

post-47482-0-24790600-1390760289_thumb.j

post-47482-0-38095100-1390760299_thumb.j

RJF has excellent leather. The double shoulder pasted back piece I got was great and Roger makes sure you are treated well.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but does anybody know if Roger taking credit cards yet?

Last time I ordered from him he does not. He does accept PayPal. He's a real likable fellow. Guess I got the bad end of the deal twice. Both double shoulders. One had scratches all in it and the other had so many wrinkles I could only use about a third of it. 

I know somebody on another board, said he's always had good luck with RJF. I talked to Roger last month, and he said he'd send me a sample. I finally got it 2-3 weeks later. I talked to him again the other day, he explained he had been busy, ran out, etc. Giving him another chance, and ordered a pair of single shoulders. I have 3 holsters to do, and just enough to do one. We'll see what happens. As for payments, I don't have PayPal, since they screwed up my account 12 years ago. But, he sent me an invoice, and I was able to go through PayPal with my card.

I only order from Roger.  I usually get about 25-30 sq ft of 7/8 ounce veg tan.  I've only gotten one piece that had a few problem areas.  Nothing major.  I pay through PayPal.  The only downside is it seems like it takes about 10 days for me to get my order.  So now I just plan my orders better so I don't run out again.  He's a super nice guy and will answer any questions you throw at him. 

I ordered 2 shoulders on Friday, and they arrived Wednesday, Nice turn around, but I did express the fact that I needed it fast. One shoulder, 8 oz , not bad, but not the prettiest. The other, 2-3 oz, was less than exciting. Fortunately, that is just for lining holsters. The backs looked beautiful though, so I might have to push roughout holsters...

Drat, still searching, then.