Sign in to follow this  
SmilinJim

daughter wants a keycase with Tigger

My daughter wants a keycase with Tigger, a Disney character, on it. Is it legal for me to carve such a case? And then is it legal to post a picture of the case? I know in real life I could carve her a case and probably several others for 'family' members and never have a real problem. But by posting a picture it becomes available to 'the copyright police', for want of a better term. Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim

Disney tends to be fairly strict on their characters.

What you would be doing, would probably be considered fan art. And as such, you would more than likely be ok.

If you were selling merchandise with Disney characters, that would be an obvious no no.

To me, the answer is going to fall into the "should" category. I don't think you would have an issue with Disney. But I'm not a trademark lawyer :)

- Noel

Yeah, same here, I'm not a lawyer... but I think the key issue is whether you are caught trying to sell items with copyrighted artwork, without documented permission.

Kate

I know a fellow who got in a lot of trouble making/selling items with art from the Pern novels. Personally, I'd make the item for my daughter, if it were me, but I wouldn't post a pic on the 'net of it.

My thoughts too. I have no intentions of selling any works like that. It's a one only. But just can't show the end results, and that might be a good thing too. I need practice.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

I wouldn't worry about posting something like that on the forum. If Disney would notice, they'd look at the situation in context. Now if you lined up 50 Harley Davidson seats with wings, you might want to refrain from posting that! Traditionally, most companies have not bothered to copyright police leatherworkers unless there is mass production and sales involved (like some people began doing w/ HD) Making a Bugs Bunny keychain or a Tigger wallet as a gift is small potatoes, and isn't going to attract the attention of any lawyers.

Johanna

Hello all,

First let me state that I am NOT a patent attorney.....Having said that I will add that I have worked with patent and trademark attorneys for about 39 years. I am a patent illustrator. I do the drawings that are used in the patent applications.

I think the thread is pretty much on the mark about using and posting a photo of a trademarked cartoon character. However I would encourage you to make a "not for sale" disclaimer when you post your item.

Let everyone know that this is a piece of "fan art" and is not for sale and will not be offered for sale.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David